• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Parking Lot--Tickets, Towing, etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biglaz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Basically, I'm just trying to find some information here. I've looked through the Wisconson Statutes and can't find anything, but I could be looking in the wrong spot.

I'm trying to figure out what can and cannot be done in private parking lots. Can the private party issue you a ticket? Can they tow your vehicle? Do they need to give any kind of warning before towing? Is there a limit on the towing or ticket price? Can they "block in" your vehicle and not let you leave? Can law enforcement also issue tickets? Etc...

I've been thinking about these things because I used to work for a retail store, and when they found a vehicle parked that shouldn't be there, they'd just call the police and the police would just put a "24-hour" tow sticker on the vehicle. But now I live in an apartment complex, and when the manager sees a vehicle without a permit he just calls up a tow truck and the car gets towed right away.

If anyone knows anything or could provide me with some statute numbers so I can research this, that'd be great. Thanks!

K

krispenstpeter

You are not going to find the answer looking through the Wisconsin State Statutes nor will anyone be able to help you here. Simply put, parking is controlled by local ordinance and you need to be contacting the city where these incidents took place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">