• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hired workers did not finish job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

delta007

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My husband and I hired a guy to install a sprinkler system for $3000 dollars. We gave him half in the beginning for supplies and such and then the other half when he was 80% done to get the rest of the supplies. He has not shown back up to finish the job and that was 4 weeks ago. We now have another company coming in to finish the job which is going to cost another $1,200. We have made contact with the first guy and he keeps saying that he would be out here to finish but never shows. I would like to take him to small claims court for the $1,200 as well as some equipment/tools he borrowed for the sprinkler job and never returned. I have the copies of the 2 checks he cashed. Do I have a chance? Is it worth the time?

BL

How do you come to 80% ???

And if 20% is all that was left,why are the new guys charging you 1200.00 ?

Yes if he has your equipment,and was paid for the job that was not completed and gave him reasonable time to finish it , and requested him to return the equipment but didn't ,you may be able to recover.

Small claims filing fees are cheap. Go for it.

weather or not you recover the difference between 20% and 1200.00 is a question,but you can ask the court for it, due to the other guys breach of contract.

JETX

Send the guy a letter (certified RRR), detailing the payments made, the work that needs to be done and the tools that he borrowed. Include a statement that he has 3 days from receipt to contact you about these items and that if he doesn't, you will be forced to retain another contractor to complete the work. Also, that you will be forced to take legal action against him for the difference in his contracted price and the price it takes to complete the work (you CANNOT collect the full difference, since you only paid 80%).

Then, if he fails to contact your or complete the work, file a small claims against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">