• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making a Street Racing DVD and legal issues that may arise?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OmahaRacing

Name: Kyle
E-Mail: [email protected]

The reason I am posting is to look into any legal problems I might run into with making a Street Racing DVD of local street racing that we do in our city (Omaha) every weekend.

I have accumulated over 15 hours of footage ranging from street racing to car shows to track racing and want to make a compilation of these things.

Could you please elaborate as much as possible as far as what kind of legal complications I COULD run into with doing this? I have been told by someone who has made a street racing DVD before that if your camera is visible and has a red RECORD light on it, that is enough permission to have the person on a DVD unless on the cover or promotional materials.

I am mainly concerned about people (my friends) being harrassed / ticketed / arrested by the police from this and then also having my computer seized/searched/etc because I have the "illegal activities" stored on it.

Any light you can shed on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Kyle

P.S. you can check out some of my videos at: www.neneons.org/vids

this is the best one yet: http://www.neneons.org/vids/wednightsr.wmv

Last edited:

abezon

Once you publish the dvd, the police will know it contains evidence of crimes (drag racing) & will buy a copy & use it to arrest people. You'll be dragged into court over & over to authenticate the dvd as being the one you published. If you edit out the license plates & faces, the police will get a subpoena for your original digital files & take your computer for analysis. By the time you get it back, the computer will be too old to run the newest software.

O

OmahaRacing

That would most definately not be good!

Any other opinions / ideas for how I can do this?

O

OmahaRacing

There's plenty of other people out there that make illegal street racing DVD's, who knows, they could have those problems, but I doubt it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">