• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scire Facias/revive Dormant Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DoubleK

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA
I have read the OCGA Rules regarding Scire Facias and to Revive Judgment. I have located the Defendant in this case and she now resides in Texas. I have a company willing to pursue this collection in Texas, all I have to do is get the Judgment "revived". From what I have read I submit a Scire Facias to the Clerk at the Supreme Court where the Judgment was issued from. My question is this, according to OCGA Rules I have to either serve the defendant by the Sheriff or by publication in our local newspaper.Do I need to still do this here in GA,as she resides in Texas, in order for the Judgment to be revived here in GA.? OR will I just need to submit the Scire Facias and then the collection company will pursue it from there? Please help me out here as I have read and reread all I can find and still am scratching my head LOL! I want to do this right, obviously, as the amount owed to me is now well over $70,000! I have already spent well over $20,000 pursuing this and to pay an attorney over $1000 to file this paperwork seems rather outrageously priced thats all....NO OFFENCE intended to Attorneys, they do their job and deserve to be paid for it, but in my case I just feel I can do this myself and try and save the $1000+. Thanks in advance for any advice, your forums are excellent reading :) Sincerely, DoubleK

D

DoubleK

judgment date

Hi there, the original record on file is dated December 18, 1996. the collection firm said they checked this out and according to their attorneys the judgment has become dormant and they advised us to revive it here in GA. The official paperwork I have here has the seal from the Clerk of the Superior Court and the date on that is 11th February, 1997.

Thanks for all the help, its much appreciated :)
Regards, DoubleK

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">