• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

verypissedoff

What is the name of your state? Flori-duh

My sister and cousin were renting a house together. Well because the cousin was not paying her share of the rent and bills because she was unemployed, my sister was paying all the bills. They were eventually evicted. Because the lease was in my sister's name, she was stuck paying a $1,000 lease release so her credit would not be completely ruined. Cousin got off scott free.

My sister struggled to pay this and booted out the cousin. Well my cousin has left her personal property there in the house for over 6 months. There has been no attempt to obtain the property via my cousin. My sister also sent her certified letters (a total of 2) indicating to her that she needed to come and get the property, no response.

My cousin visited my sister at her place of employment this week and begged my sister to let my cousin move back in, my sister refused. Now of course after 6 months, my cousin wants her personal property back including her washer and dryer. My cousin had her mother call my sister and demand the stuff back by this weekend. Now if it was me I would tell her to go jump somewhere, but now my sister is having to forefeight the washer and dryer.

Knowing me, I would keep it and let her take me to small claims court because the stuff ain't worth nothing, but does my sister have any rights? Can she just keep this stuff?

What could my cousin sue her for? Is it like a high amount. The only property my cousin claims is the washer and dryer. Both are from the early 90's. Would my cousin be stupid to file a small claim for these items?

Thanks

PS - Ya know my husband sued someone for 2500.00 and the guy didn't even show up and still has his furniture. Is small claims a waste of time?

BL

Well it's not you , and your cousin wants to forfeit the property,so what are you asking questions for ?

Don't get us in the middle of a good southern bickering battle between the Family .

I'd tell them to fly a kite too, but you and I aren't involved are we ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">