• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Rights and Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vivavegas

What is the name of your state? MI

I have a question...A friend of mine and this girl just found out that they are going to have a baby. He does not want kids. He has always been this way. He does not want her to go through with the pregnacy. She decided that she is going to have it anyway. She keeps asking him if he wants to change his mind. He is getting to the point where he wants to tell her off all the time. I don't blame him. For as long as I have known him he has never been very fond of the idea of ever having kids. I kind of feel like the girl trapped him. What I was thinking is...can he give up his parental rights to the child? If he denies the child, does he have to help her with medical bills, labor costs, and child support. He has now told her that he doesn't ever want to talk to her again. She keeps telling him that the reason that she wants to have the baby is because she is afraid that later down the road she might not be able to have kids because of having an abortion. I told him that she was full of crap but he is so confused on what to do. Can he just give up parental rights and deny the child...and not ever have to pay child support. I don't know what to tell him.

K

krispenstpeter

Tell your friend the time to think about NOT having kids was before he unzipped his pants.

He has no legal standing to order or suggest she have an abortion nor does he have any recourse except to pay child support if and when the child is found to be legally his.

He had better get used to the idea of having a child. Even if he never sees it or has anything to do with it, legally, he can't just walk away.

And tell your friend something else. GROW THE HELL UP!

tigger22472

He can deny the child all he wants. However a court can order him to prove paternity and once that is proved if mom pursues it he WILL be ordered to pay child support and he WILL be expected to pay it per the court order. If he didn't want children then it was up to HIM to prevent it from happening or taking his OWN precautions to prevent it. I suggest if your friend still would like to engage in sex yet doesn't want to have children he have a vasectomy. If this child is proved to be his he will be expected to support it and it doesn't matter if he wanted it or not.

BL

And there she was just standing on the street singing do da diddly da do da day , she just suduced him and he didn't have nothing to say .. :D

VeronicaGia

Yes, and also your friend, if DNA proves the child is his, will be ordered to provide health insurance for the child and cover at least 50% of uninsured medical costs, plus will have to pay at least 50% of any daycare costs. He will also have the right to petition the court for visitation and some form of custody.

D

drsatterly

That's right, if you didn't ever want kids, then you should have gotten a vasectomy. Ask him how would he feel if his parents didn't want anything to do with him? Tell him to quit being selfish and give that child love, he didn't ask to have a father like him, its a shame the child will be stuck with a dead beat dad. Children always suffer. I offer no sympathy for him, he shouldn't have unziped.

A

Apriejoyc

Lol

You know the number one reason males do not want children? Responsibility.
Yup. And thats the same reason they'll take off too.
Accepting the consequences is simply part of growing up, what i would do if he happened to be my friend is take a 2 by 4 and hit him with it. I'd give him a dose a reality. And that girl, she's smart..shes the one who needs a friend. dealing with a selfish @#!^.

Grace_Adler

First off, while I think the father to be is being a jerk, I don't think it is fair to put all the blame on him. They BOTH should have taken precautions, especially if she knew how he felt about having children. The only thing that prevents pregnancy 100% is abstinence (sp).

Anyway, to answer your questions, he should petition for paternity when the child is born. You can't be too careful these days.

He can't give up his rights unless the mother agrees to it. I don't know if MI requires an adoption to take place in order to terminate parental rights, some states do,some don't. Some support obligations go away with a TPR in some states as well. I *hear* that some states still require support unless there is an adoption. Don't know if MI is one. You would have to go to the state's website and research the statutes.

He does have the right to file for custody/visitation and/or support when the child is born.

And he does need to grow up or not have sex. Well, both of them do. So I hope it's a learning experience for them both so there won't be more unwanted pregnancies and situations like this. Poor kid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">