• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Likelyhood of obtaining support through college in FLORIDA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

salvini

I was divorced in Florida way back in 1989. Since then, we have never had a modification of child support. Our original settlement states that child support will end when each child reaches the age of 18. I would like to ask the court for a Modification of Child Support to extend the agreement through the kids' college years (we have two children - - one ready to go to college this fall and the other in two more years). Before I go through this tedious process, I'd like to know if it's even worth my time. In other words, since we live in Florida, where obligation ends at 18, is there really any chance that a judge/commissioner would extend the period through college? Has anyone gone through this process? What was the outcome? Should I hire an attorney to do this for me? Me ex owes more than $10,000 in back child support and his income is near impossible to prove. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

salvini said:
I was divorced in Florida way back in 1989. Since then, we have never had a modification of child support. Our original settlement states that child support will end when each child reaches the age of 18. I would like to ask the court for a Modification of Child Support to extend the agreement through the kids' college years (we have two children - - one ready to go to college this fall and the other in two more years). Before I go through this tedious process, I'd like to know if it's even worth my time. In other words, since we live in Florida, where obligation ends at 18, is there really any chance that a judge/commissioner would extend the period through college? Has anyone gone through this process? What was the outcome? Should I hire an attorney to do this for me? Me ex owes more than $10,000 in back child support and his income is near impossible to prove. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

My response:

Insofar as college support is concerned, you don't have a Tinker's chance. Besides, since he owes you $10,000.00, what makes you think he'll pay for college, or any part thereof?

Your best bet is to file an "Order to Show Cause Re: Contempt of Court" and let him sit in jail thinking about the child support he should have been paying.

IAAL

S

salvini

Thanks for your reply. That's what I figured... I decided last night not to pursue the modification of support --- too much work for just more aggravation.

By the way, the DOR is supposed to be handling my support case. We have been to court several time over the child support and he has not spent ONE DAY in jail for non-payment. Last year he was ordered to pay half of the arrears, which he did, but he still owes that much. We're going to court again because he has only made one partial monthly payment this year! I hope this time the court WILL put his butt in jail!

I'm also going to take him to court (for the 5th time) to get the medical payments he owes me. What a bum!

M

marla1971

florida never enforces orders

I'm in NJ and my ex is in Florida order for child support through NJ reciprocity from Fl. I am owed nearly $30,000 and Fl will do nothing to him as long as he sends me $1 every 6 weeks. Unfortunatley they are all talk no walk when it comes to enforement.
Good Luck
Marla :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">