• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Fees and Homeowners Associations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bglose

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hello everyone,

I was recently sued by my homeowners association for homeowners fees. There is history behind why it wasn't paid but in the case it isn't pertinent.

When I was sued, I was sued for the amount owned to the homeowners association, plus $450 legal fees and court fees. The homeowners association was awarded the judgement.

As it ends up once I thought I had paid off the entire amount, I was notified that I still owned $528. When I requested the ledger for my account, it ended up that I was assessed an additional $528 of attorney fees that were billed to the Homeowners Association for the cost of sueing me, which the Homeowners Association passed along to me.

My question is that it seems to me the the Homeowners Association law firm is collecting twice for sueing me on behalf of the homeowners association. Is this a legitimate action on the part of the law firm or would I be better off going back to the court and challenging it?

Thanks in advance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">