• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kristi

My husband and I have custody of his daughter. Her mother, who moved to Southern California (with their daughter until he got custody) left Northern california and hasn't come back except twice in two years to see her. One time, we paid for it and put her in our house. She has visitation and sees her on school holidays. We are interested in moving to Texas where my entire family is. There is nothing in his papers that says he can't move her, but the mom is balking. Any ideas?

R

rookie

The court order probably stipulates that you must mail "return receipt requested" the intention of the new move, so visitation/custody issues can be addressed.

I suggest you do this, and then the ball is in her court, to take you to court for modification.

K

KimLong

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rookie:
The court order probably stipulates that you must mail "return receipt requested" the intention of the new move, so visitation/custody issues can be addressed.

I suggest you do this, and then the ball is in her court, to take you to court for modification.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you explain "return receipt requested"..I have never heard such a thing...thanks!!

R

rookie

Go to your post office and request the letter be mailed "return receipt requested", there will be a small fee.

When the other party receives the letter, they will have to sign an attached postal form, which has your name and address on it. The receipt will be sent back to you, with the signature that confirms they other party received your letter.

It simply gives the sender proof that the other person did receive the letter.

K

KimLong

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rookie:
Go to your post office and request the letter be mailed "return receipt requested", there will be a small fee.

When the other party receives the letter, they will have to sign an attached postal form, which has your name and address on it. The receipt will be sent back to you, with the signature that confirms they other party received your letter.

It simply gives the sender proof that the other person did receive the letter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I know it as a "registered letter"...sounds like the same thing. Ok...So regarding to moving..this should be done so that the custodial parent knows that the non custodial parent received warning of the move and gave time to reply with working out a visitation agreement...Is that what this was leading to? Then if there is no responce..the custodial can move?

K

Kristian

I just wanted to let you guys know where this landed. The mom petitioned the court for custody modicfication, BUT since the dad had FULL PHYSICAL cusotdy, she had to prove the move to be a detriment to the child. She didn't. Our attorney argued precedence for a case that just came down from the supreme court... Bialis. We won and are now able to move out of state without even having to prove WHY we wanted to go.

MySonsMom

This has nothing to do with the topic but user name KimLong..Is that your name?

------------------
~MySonsMom~

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MySonsMom:
This has nothing to do with the topic but user name KimLong..Is that your name?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was someone elses 'original' username ... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">