• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"how-to" book...rules??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunny_outside

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello,
I was wondering if the copyright (which states something like - "projects to use for personal use only") of "how-to" instructional craft book means that the copyright protects JUST the actual instructions from being used OR if the instructions AND final outcome of the project are protected? In other words if a craft was made from the instructions in the book could it be sold by the person who made it...or donated to a charity so they can sell it for their profit?

Thanks!!

S

sunny_outside

Yes, meaning items made from "how-to" books can be sold for profit or donated to be sold without fear of copyright issues from the book publisher and/or author??

S

sunny_outside

Thanks so much!!! Boy, that was the fastest response ever...and really to the point. :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I think the intent of the author and publisher is that they maintain the copyright to their instructions, and that it is not for use to manufacture and sell the items as a business.

For example, if the book gives you instructions to make a "Widget", you do not have a license to start manufacturing "Widgets" and selling the "Widgets" wholesale to stores all over the country.

IAAL

JETX

No, but if they include a pattern to make a dress and the writer sews that dress, she can sell it.
Or if they include a pattern on how to make a wooden airplane, and the writer makes one, he can sell it.
Or if the describe the process of how to make a quilt, the writer can create it and sell it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
No, but if they include a pattern to make a dress and the writer sews that dress, she can sell it.
Or if they include a pattern on how to make a wooden airplane, and the writer makes one, he can sell it.
Or if the describe the process of how to make a quilt, the writer can create it and sell it.

My response:

I am not disagreeing with you. We are on the same plane.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">