• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julie rodriguez

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
Could the executor of an estate legally have vehicles or equipment retitled and sell them without the beneficiaries approval even if there was enough money in the estate account to settle all the deceased debts? What if the beneficiaries did not want to sell the vehicles but keep them knowing there was enough cash in the estate account to handle all debts? Does the executor have the right to just sell them because they just want to? And does the executor have the right to have a locksmith make keys to the house that was willed to the beneficiary? Actually it wasn't willed, but their name is on the deed. Please help as we are having problems with the executor just taking things from our property that doesn't need to be taken.

Last edited:

J

julie rodriguez

Executor Rights

Can anyone help me out there? I really need an answer to my questions.

Dandy Don

Yes, executor does have authority to handle any and all assets.

You need to clarify what you mean when you say she had them retitled.

Have you looked at the title/deed to the home to see exactly how the names appear--are there 2 names on there (the decedent and your name), or just your name alone?

Do you know what the executor's intentions are for the home? If the title already has your name on it, there would seem to be no need for probate unless to get it in your name alone. What are your intentions for the home--do you want to live there or sell it?

Without a written inventory or video inventory, you have no way to prove what was in the home and the estate gets the contents of the home, you only get the home. Maybe she is going to sell the items and add them to the value of the estate. Wait until probate finishes--if you end up owner you will need to get the locks changed executor has no further access.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">