• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeing My Grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smcgarry

What is the name of your state? Texas
Right now I have temporary conservatorship of my Grandchild and we are working very hard to reunite her with her biological parents.

My question is: Since we have had custody for the past 7 months of the child's life, (she is about to be 1), when the biological parents get the child back, will the Judge rule that the child get visitation with us or is this something I will have to petition for?

K

krispenstpeter

There is no way we can answer you since we don't know any particulars of your case nor does anyone here know the judge.

It is likely that regardless of the situation, you will have to petition for visitation rights which may or may not be granted. But again, there's nothing anyone here can tell you legally based on your post.

racer72

In a case from Washington state, it was determined that grandparents have no legal right to visitation with their grandchildren. If one or both of the biological parents do not want their children to see their grandparents, there is very little that can be done. And as a grandparent, I think the decision sucks.

smcgarry

I know there are groups out there that are rallying to change that, and I really believe it won't be long.
I think that ESPECIALLY if a Grandparent has a bond with a Grandchild and has spent any amount of time with the child establishing that relationship, the visitation for Grandparents should be mandatory.
I know I will fight for that right when it comes time!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

smcgarry said:
I know there are groups out there that are rallying to change that, and I really believe it won't be long.
I think that ESPECIALLY if a Grandparent has a bond with a Grandchild and has spent any amount of time with the child establishing that relationship, the visitation for Grandparents should be mandatory.
I know I will fight for that right when it comes time!

My response:

Sounds like the same arguments and feelings used to change "Roe vs. Wade". Well, here were are more than 30 years hence and . . .

IAAL

Seanscott

Sorry - I obviously posted a wrong link. In my search engine I typed in "Grandparents' rights to visitation in Texas" and it led me to a site at Findlaw.com.

"The judge may order visitation with a grandchild if:

#6 Your grandchild has resided with you for at least six months during the last two years"

There is other criteria for visitation, and denial of visitation at this site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">