• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Los angeles towing and parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nordica90034

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? My state is California, Los Angeles.

My husband and I parked our truck on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. at a usual place where we always park. The area is industrial and had no parking restrictions for years or months. The day we parked there were no parking restrections, everything was the same as usual. On Monday morning at 10 a.m. our truck was ticketed and towed based on a temporary sign put up obviously after Sunday 1 p.m. "TEMPORARY NO PARKING from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. except Sunday".
The towing cost $168 and the parking ticket is $45.

The parking violation officer entered the incorrect license plate on the printed ticket, therefore when I called the Los Angeles Parking Violation Bureau they couldn't even identify our address or our name. I told them I would not give out my address because their officer made a mistake by mistyping our license plate. They said they would help me start an investigation on the situation but they need a mailing address.

My questions
1., How can I proove that the "no parking" sign was put up after Sunday at 1 p.m.
2., Shouldn't the city have at least a 24 hour warning before they tow a car in a temporary no parking area? We didn't store the car on the street. I know in Los Angeles you can only park a car at one spot for 72 hours.
3., Can I just call back the Parking violation Bureau and give them one of my friends address and use it as a mailing address?

Please help
Thank you

CdwJava

nordica90034 said:
My questions
1., How can I proove that the "no parking" sign was put up after Sunday at 1 p.m.
2., Shouldn't the city have at least a 24 hour warning before they tow a car in a temporary no parking area? We didn't store the car on the street. I know in Los Angeles you can only park a car at one spot for 72 hours.
3., Can I just call back the Parking violation Bureau and give them one of my friends address and use it as a mailing address?

Please help
Thank you

For 1: You can have witnesses testify or write in support of that fact. Or, the investigating agency (parking enforcement) can check with the city agency that posted the sign to check when it was posted. If they insist it had been up since, say, Friday, then you may be out of luck.

2: The 24 hour notice requirement would depend entirely upon the codes in Los Angeles and upon the authority section used to authorize the impound of the vehicle.

3: Well, you can TRY to send them a bad address. But, chances are they are going to need a correct name, address and license plate to do anything about the matter. If the issues don't match they will know something's up. On the other hand, I suppose you can just ignore it an hope that they don't eventually match it up to the correct plate and put a lien for unpaid cites on the parking ticket. And since the car was towed, I'm guessing the real license plate number and registration adddress is known to someone out there.

If you want to resolve it, don't give them any reason to think you're pulling a fast one. Be up front and honest. if you try and pull the wool over their eyes, then they may decide to deny any claim you might have had.

Good luck.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">