• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minnesota speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phelix

What is the name of your state? minnesota

i just set up a court date to fight my minnesota speeding ticket and i have a couple of questions.

1)how do i go about getting the officer's copy of the ticket?
2)the cop didnt date the ticket. from what i've read on this site, that doesn't invalidate the ticket, but still, how can i use that to my advantage?
3)once i do go to court, how do i go about requesting a continuance (i plan to do this for as many times as they allow this, which seems to be only 1, in hope that the officer doesnt show up)

thanks in advance. also, any general advice would be helpful as well.

lwpat

"1)how do i go about getting the officer's copy of the ticket?"

The original is not any different from the copy he gave you. Sometimes the officer will make notes on his copy but I fail to see where this will be of any help. Some states allow a discovery process at the traffic court level, some don't.

"2)the cop didnt date the ticket. from what i've read on this site, that doesn't invalidate the ticket, but still, how can i use that to my advantage?"

I doubt that you can. From your post it is obvious that you know nothing about traffic court.

"3)once i do go to court, how do i go about requesting a continuance"

When you get a continuance the court sets a new trial date. You cannot show up, see if the officer shows, and then request a continuance.

If you intend on fighting the ticket get some help. Otherwise take traffic school or a deferment if allowed in Minn. The clerk of court will be able to tell you if you are eligible. Tell your parents about the ticket, they will find out anyway when they renew their insurance.

P

phelix

oh, my parents know. i might be stupid enough to get a ticket, but im not so stupid to not realize my parents will find out eventually. besides, my dad will ahve to go to court with me. the only reason im fighting this ticket is because it determines which car i drive. about using the lack of date to my advantage: i actually have read up on these posts, and the alibi idea seems feasible. in minn, youre supposed to respond within 21 days, and when i called the automatic payment line, their due date for the ticket was way off of what the date i actually received the ticket + 21 days is. could i use THAT to my advantage? there are two reasons i want the ticket - 1) what if the date just didnt go through the carbon paper? 2) if he did forget to date it, then he's probably quite incompetent, and it would be a good idea to cross-examine him for the freak chance he will get so much wrong that the judge will actually decide in my favor (as i said, FREAK CHANCE). mainly i'm just hoping the officer doesn't show up.

CdwJava

Sorry, but there are are probably not any posters knowledgeable with MN law to help you out here. I could tell you how this would work in CA but that would do you absolutely no good at all in MN.

The date issue is pretty much a non-starter everywhere. And questioning him on it would likely only work to your advantage if he admits that he has no recollection of the incident at all ... which is doubtful.

And its a throw of the dice if he shows up or not. If the officer were a traffic officer (state trooper or local officer assigned primarily to traffic enforcement) the chances of him showing up are probably near 100%. If he was a typical beat cop, its probably at least 75% - depending on the jurisdiction. In some counties in CA officers get disciplined for failing to show in traffic court. In others they just dismiss right there.

Also, in many states (maybe most) traffic school is NOT usually an option if you contest the citation. So, you may want to check and see if that option may not be available if you contest it.

Carl

FarmerJ

Up here when people are ticketed for speeding it often is because they have exceeded the limit by 10 mph or more , but all that did is create a huge monster since many people lost any fear of insurance rate hikes up here for another reason . You might just give up on any idea of fighting the ticket and living with the result , In rural areas speeding is a bad problem that easily results in death or severe Injury . If you were stopped by Mn state troupers you had to have been going VERY fast .If you were stopped By a County Sheriff deputy in a rural area HOW Fast were you going ?

P

phelix

this wasn't in a rural area, it was in the metro area. i was seen going about 20 over, clocked at 13 over in a 35 area (only car on the road, don't worry, im not dumb enough to go 55 on a city street in traffic). this was on friday night, so the cop was probably out hunting for drunk drivers and ran across me. anyways, if i was to try to use the lack of a date against him, how would i go about it?

FarmerJ

you can try but If your going to be in Ramsey or Hennipen county courts likely it has happend before and it wont work since they have heard everything under the sun being tried to get tickets invalidated .

P

phelix

ugh... its in hennepin county. so what should i do - just show up and hope the cop isnt there? still, what are the things to do/questions to ask the cop to aid my case, no matter how little?

P

phelix

also, this is important - how do i go about requesting a continuance? the date is next tuesday, and first of all, im not ready for it yet, since i really am planning to try and squeeze everything out of this, and second of all, i need to be in school that day.

P

phelix

^^^ i still need help on this. just basically the bare essentials of what i should do after pleading not guilty in the hope of the officer not showing up. i figured out the continuance already.

P

phelix

also, am i going to a preliminary hearing where i simply plead for now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">