• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by insurance company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rochellemcnutt

What is the name of your state? TX
I was in a car accident in 2002 and I received a ticket for no insurance and running a red light. The court gave me the option of dismissing one of the tickets ( I chose no insurance) and pleaing no contest to the other. I just got served papers and the insurnace company of the other person involed is suing me. I just graduated from college. I have a part-time job, no money, and the only thing I own is my car. I looked into getting a lawyer and fighting it because I am not guilty of running the red light. However, this is going to be expensive and I cant afford it. What are my options? What happens if I get a judgement against me? Can they suspend my driver's license?

K

krispenstpeter

Suspend your license is the least of your worries.

Judging from your response the other driver must have sustained a lot of damage and/or medical bills. So, guess what? It doesn't matter if you just graduated from college, if you are poor or if you are green with horns.

The insurance company is suing you because they can't recover their cost from your insurance. And why? Because you had none.

Now, here's the best part. Remember that driver you hit? If their deductible doesn't cover their expenses guess who will also sue you?

Yep, you've started out life wonderfully.

And now the best part. When the insurance company wins and receives a judgement against you it is good for up to 10 years and renewable for up to 10 more.

Guess you've pretty much screwed up now didn't you?

R

Rick H

Not a jerk

Unlike some people I will try not to sound like I live to be a jerk. I would contact the attorney for the insurance company and try to work some sort of settlement. There should be a local legal aid that might help you. It goes with out saying this is why you need to be insured at all times

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">