• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims default/motion filed later by defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sebben76

What is the name of your state?Illinois - Chicago

I filed a small claim case for $3K in April, a court date set for 5/4. The defendant, a parking garage company, received a summons via the Cook County Sherriff 4/15 but did not file appearance fees by the end of 5/4. The case was set on Default Call for a 5/18 date. Per Cook Co's online case info, I found out today that on 5/12, several events occured: the company, via their attorney had a) notice of motion filed b) proof of service filed c) motion filed and d) motion spindled. A court date under the last entry says 5/19.

My questions are a)what exactly are "notice of motion filed" and "proof of service filed" b) im asumming the company is trying to get the default overturned, is this the most likely case and what tends to happen with such motions c) is there any significance that the 5/18 court date - which originally i thought would be where the judge rules in default a win to me - is before the 5/19 motion spindled item date. d) i originally had a witness for the 5/4 date, should i bring him to the 5/18 or 5/19 dates

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">