• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Sopport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pohawk44

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania My daughter lives in Pa. Her and her husband are separated and she was told by child and domestic services that she was not entitled to child support. There is no legal separation at this time but they both have their own place of residence. She does not work at this time because she is a full time college student. Legal aid will not help her until the childs father files for custody.

HomeGuru

pohawk44 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania My daughter lives in Pa. Her and her husband are separated and she was told by child and domestic services that she was not entitled to child support. There is no legal separation at this time but they both have their own place of residence. She does not work at this time because she is a full time college student. Legal aid will not help her until the childs father files for custody.

**A: thanks for sharing........

VeronicaGia

So she's upset that a judge ordered no support from him, yet at the same time she thinks it's perfectly fine that she doesn't have a job and isn't supporting the kids either? What if her ex decides to become a full time student too?

tigger22472

The way I understand this the reason she's not getting any CS is because nothing has been filed in court for anything... not even a separation so right now.. NO he doesn't have to give CS. And LEGAL AID will help her get a divorce, they don't do separations though. Divorces are actully less expensive. Trust me I checked it to it all one time when my ex and I split. BUT you have to either be in the process of divorce or legally separated to get CS>

Grace_Adler

I would check on that because my husband and his ex were not legally separated or divorced when she got her child support order. They never filed for separation. She went to CSE 4 months after he left he for good and filed for it. It was court ordered 8 months later. They didn't even divorce until a year 1/2 after that. People here do it all the time and there are many states that are the same way. I would check into it further.

Last edited:

annefan

pohawk44 said:

Depending on what county they reside in, Legal Aid will not represent in divorce proceedings of any kind. In Pennsylvania, there is no such acknowledgment of 'legal separation'. The daughter can approach Legal Aid and request assistance to petition for child support and child custody, so long as she maintains a separate residence from her spouse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">