• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for unlicensed vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BahdKo

I live in Frederick County, Virginia. On January 16, I used the Virginia DMV's website to renew my vehicle's license, paid for the renewal online, and printed out the "web receipt" as instructed. The receipt said that I would receive my registration materials (decals for my tags and registration cards to carry with the vehicle) within 5 business days. The materials did not arrive as promised, and on February 8th, while my vehicle was parked in Loudoun County, I was written a ticket for it being unlicensed. When this happened, I went to the DMV and showed them my "web receipt", and they gave me a set of decals for my tags. Much later, in the second week of March, the original registration materials finally arrived at my address in Frederick County. Unfortunately, I do not see a postmark on the envelope, but I kept it and the decals.

I already have a hearing date set for this (May 24th). I would like some input as to how this is likely to go down. If I learn that I am likely to lose, I intend to call the Loudoun County Treasurer's office and cancel the hearing.

The position I intended to take is that I am not guilty of putting an unlicensed vehicle on a public road; my license fees were paid, my vehicle was legally licensed according to the DMV records, and I was waiting for my promised registration materials to arrive.

Thanks for your time,

--Laura

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">