• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taken?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djm93

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently purchased a vehicle on ebay from a small dealer in Florida. The car was advertised as "Like New in every way, vehicle runs and drives 100%, all systems function correctly, exterior is beautiful, paint is glossy and has no dents and dings, beautiful wheels and tires." I called several times during the process to confirm the condition and was assured "I would be pleased." Needless to say we were not pleased, the transport company noted 8 issues (dents and other damage) on the transportation paperwork. The car would not pass state inspection and was not in the condition that the dealer advertised. We called them immediately and asked them for a full refund and that the car needed to be picked up. They replied, what did you expect for the amount paid? They also suggested that I put the car back on ebay and just simply resell. They implied that because they sold the car "as is" nothing else really mattered? They were very arogant about it. I have talked to several FL. state organizations and all they did was refer me to someone else. We have close to $5,000 additional dollars invested in this "like new" car and I can't seem to find anyone in FL. that is willing to help us out. I have no problem at all going to FL if need be. Something needs to be done about this type of deception where the seller thinks, because of the distance, the buyer can't do anything. Any suggestions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Use the search button, up top, and in separate searches, type in "caveat emptor" and "puffing" (without the quote marks) and read all the threads.

IAAL

D

djm93

Thanks for the info. I read several of the postings and have to say they were quite educational. Although you may find this question "Amusing" or "Entertaining" what the heck - I think I will ask it anyway ..... How can someone knowingly misrepresent an item and it be the buyers fault? Most of the "messages" within the responses to the postings imply that .... I can take my broken down 17 year old Jeep, put it on ebay, call it something other than what it really is, have someone take my word and written advertisement for what I said it really isn't, make a hand full of money and have such an unethical act be OK with our legal system? I don't know about you but that doesn't make me feel real good. Help me understand, what I am missing? I didn't realize it was ok to call a bag of oranges, apples and have that action be followed up with "caveat emptor"?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

djm93 said:
Thanks for the info. I read several of the postings and have to say they were quite educational. Although you may find this question "Amusing" or "Entertaining" what the heck - I think I will ask it anyway ..... How can someone knowingly misrepresent an item and it be the buyers fault? Most of the "messages" within the responses to the postings imply that .... I can take my broken down 17 year old Jeep, put it on ebay, call it something other than what it really is, have someone take my word and written advertisement for what I said it really isn't, make a hand full of money and have such an unethical act be OK with our legal system? I don't know about you but that doesn't make me feel real good. Help me understand, what I am missing? I didn't realize it was ok to call a bag of oranges, apples and have that action be followed up with "caveat emptor"?

My response:

And, what did you learn about "puffing"?

IAAL

O

ozark db

Why "beat around the bush" when it is against your nature? (at least thats what oprah says)

You are the "puffing" expert and should explain it like only you can.

O

ozark db

Oh you gotta admit this was just sitting here begging for it...

More so than an illeterate crack smoker.

O

ozark db

I don't know.. who do you think it is?

You have to admit you had this one coming.

S

StephenS

djm
It's not okay....

the reason is in the answer of

What's a judicial system on a budget to work with first??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">