• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

indie CD release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

corban

I am from Canada, eh?

This is not so much a copyright question, or even necessarily a legal question, but I need to ask somebody, so please help. A friend and I recorded and released a CD completely independant. We recorded it ourselves, playing all the instruments ourselves, on our own recording equipment. I wrote all the songs. I did vox, keys, guitars, and half the bass tracks. He did the drums, percussion, and half the bass tracks. We both "produced and engineered" it, although I did more, and I did almost all of the editing and mixing. We are now in a band with two other members. How should the profits be distributed? Should the new members get a cut for helping promote CDs at shows? Should the person who sells the CD get a cut? How much more should I get than my friend? I know this is all grey, but I'm new at this, and it's a bit of a unique situation, so I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

jp

C

corban

ok...

yeah all right, I'm down with that, but isn't there any "common practice" advice that can be given?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">