• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate sources?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TABBY411

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Can anyone give me a good source, as in a book, for reading up on probate law in Ohio or where would I find it in a .gov website? Does the revised code contain everything because I found some reference to probate but nothing dealing with specifics. The lawyer tells me that he will open an estate account at US Bank but I want to open it at Provident because it is close and is where my Mom's accounts are presently. I also would like to read about the $2000 threshold on inventory along with other law concerning the inventory and distribution of assets and personal property and household items. This is a great site and I know I could continue asking questions here but I would rather read up on it myself. I also know the lawyer should be a source for this information but I imagine he charges for every phone call and e-mail and I would raher keep his fees at a minimum. He has already confused me somewhat by first saying he could open the estate and get my letter of authority once he had the death certificate and now he wants the inventory first when I actually have three months after the estate is opened for the inventory. He also wanted bank statements of balances at death before getting the letter of authority but the banks want to see the letter of authority before they give the information. So I would rather read up on it if I can find a good book or link so I can ask the lawyer the right questions and not ask him things that will cost the estate when I can find it out on my own.
Thanks

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Who is the official executor--is it the attorney or is it you? If you were to file the will yourself and apply to be executor, you would get to pick what bank it goes to. And you need clarification from him as to why he wants the account at a bank of his choice when it should be at the bank of YOUR choice.

Visit the website findlaw.com and find the link that says US STATE CODES/LAWS and you will see a link to Ohio. And yes, the law may be fairly understandable but it is sometimes complex and sometimes you need an attorney's assistance to get the correct interpretation.

TABBY411

Thanks. I am the executor in the will and should formally be once the lawyer files with probate and I get a letter of authority but he says there are certain things that must be followed and US Bank must be a court approved bank or something. I am going to question him on this and the POD account that you replied about previously. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">