• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who do I go to for Legal Action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Adironda

What is the name of your state? New York

I live in the Adirondack region of NY.The county is Essex.I need to know if anyone knows who I should contact to a problem I am having with a Non-Profit Organization that has totally ruined my life and families.I need to contact an Attorney asap and do not know where to turn and what I can do about the situation.I will be homeless in 3 weeks or there abouts due to the irresponsibility, neglect and lack of knowledgable help and guidance I recieved from this Non profit organization located in Elizabethtown.I was lead down a wild goose path by them and they are leaving me in a deep hole with nowhere to go.They help low to moderate income families with down payment assistance,closing costs,rent,home repairs etc.They also package loans and help you obtain finacing usually through Rural developement/USDA.The time is of the essence here for me.I feel this might be a Civil matter.I was told that since it is a county organization,i should begin with the county officials.Should I contact the District Attorney there? Can anyone recommend an Attorney in or near my area,please? Thank you,
Kathy

K

krispenstpeter

Kathy, you have told us where you live, what the company with which you have an issue does but you have not said one word about what your specific issue is.

Therefore, I can only assume you don't want to state it and if that is the case, no one here will attempt to help you.

You see, the answer to whom you contact depends entirely on what issues arise from your specific problem.

Now, either give us some facts or there's nothing we can do.

A

Adironda

The problem is this.

NY
Thank you for your reply.
I moved upstate in 2002.I have been dealing with the Hapec(Housing Assistance Program of Essex County) Organization located on Elizabethtown,NY since May 2003.They are the Non-profit i mentioned.I went on their list for down payment/closing cost assistance as I am eligible.I was told by the woman handling this for me,the one who packages the loan to look for a house to purchase in the summer of 2003.Well i did and went into contract on Nov 2003.She went and inspected the house.She approved it.So since my credit is not the best she decided it would be best for me to go to USDA/Rural Development for the mortgage.When the time came for me to do that which was around Dec 2003,she changed her mind telling me that USDA did not have funding at that time .She said she wanted me to try other places and suggested my bank.I told her I would not be approved.She said try anyway.So I did and was declined March 17,2004.She never returns phone calls or calls with updates or offers any help.Infact, she out right avoids calls.I was told by her she was leaving for around 4 weeks due to an operation she needed.If it wasn't for my calling her,I would of never known.My point is this,she knew I had been denied from my bank.So I got an extension added to the contract to secure financing by June 1st. She did not do her part like she was suppose to do and also with packaging the loan with USDA or any other place and she has admitted it.Her words have been I was neglected and not properly advised.Or anything else for that matter.She said she feels sorry for me and apologized repeatedly. I was left to figure out what I was suppose to do according to Hapec.There is no one else there that would handle this for me while she was out on medical leave. So She gave me the USDA 's office and number in Plattsburgh with who was to handle this for me there.So I contacted them and they had me resubmit my application all over again.I was told all along from the Hapec Organization that I met all the guidelines and requirements for them and also for the USDA.Now the problem is this....My current Landlords have given me a Lease termination for May 31st and I have nowhere to move into because after submitting my app again to USDA, they just a week and a half ago told me they could not give me a mortgage due to an open collection account from Verizon that was on my credit report.I was unaware of this and I also know that Verizon is wrong but because of it what USDA said is that their credit guidelines have changed and in order for them to give me a mortgage I must enter into an agreement with Verizon and show USDA that I have paid atleast 3-4 months of payments on this account.This I have already done.According to the USDA in Syracuse,Hapec is being looked into or cracked down upon because they were suppose to know the USDA's rules and all the new requirements so they can properly lead people like myself the correct way to home ownership. No I am stuck.I have to be out of here soon,no money to move etc.and there are no houses to rent on a yearly basis up where I am or the surrounding areas.I have a son that is still in school and a severly disabled Fiance'.Plus my job .I can move many miles away but unfortunatley my company is not there.So I will have to give up my job that I have already invested in a year this June.Each town up here is quite a distance away from everything .I live in Schroon Lake.I am willing to travel for my job but not 75 miles for more which is what I would have to do.I work for Tops Market.I have many realestates,co-worker plus neighbors,friends etc. looking for me.Now just a few days ago and after a few nasty messages left for this woman at Hapec,she finally called me back.She told me that the only thing they can do for me is to offer the owner of the house I was in contract with $15,000 or so to hold a mortgage for 3-5 years.Well they can not because they owe on thier house like $60,000.When I asked her if this was an option for me on another house in Essex County she said no.It was just for the house in question.She has no other suggestions for me and is not offering any help knowing I have no place to go and the extreme circumstances I was placed in.I have already spoken to the Essex County Sheriff and he is trying to find out who I should contact about this matter.This organizations hand should be forced here to help me. Had I known back in Dec about the Verizon problem, I would of paid it already and would of not had a problem and if I had gone back then to USDA instead of my bank i would not be in this position.I was directed by Hapec.That is one of their requirements for getting the down payment money.I am backed up against a wall here now.I am in all sincerity scared out of my mind.My current landlords are making a bed and breakfast out of the house I currently live in and part of it is already rented to tourists as of June 5th.They want me out.This is what the situation is and thank you again....Kathy

A

Adironda

NY

Thanks for the lack of a reply.This is not a chat board .I might have a bad situation I am in but you two are pathetic.If you can not or do not want to answer properly,then don't at all.You seem to be able to converse to each other instead of the person that asked a question,in this instance me..Why do you feel you need to answer so arrogantly?I feel like this is talk city.You,krispen originally gave me a somewhat rude reply and said you needed info.So I gave it.Too much for you to handle? Please don't bother.

Thanks but no thanks.

stephenk

you should consult with a civil attorney.

why do you need to only find a house that has a year lease? why cant you rent month to month or anything else less than a year?

A

Adironda

NY

Thank you Stephenk.I appreciated your answer.I don't really need a yearly lease accept that it gives me enough time to straighten out the mess and I will have a roof over my head for a while during the time I am getting matters taken care of.I also have a son still in school and my fiance' is severly disabled.Constantly moving is not good with everything that is going on and a month to month is too risky.There also are no houses to rent where I am unless it is for vacation purposes.An apartment is definatley out of the picture.They are scarce as well.There also are no month to months unless like a have mentioned it is for vacation useage.The going rent is anywhere form $700 per week on up.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">