• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue this shady co.? A.C.E.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BellaK

What is the name of your state?Minnesota

5 yrs ago I had gotten a solicitation for a credit card that i accepted.when it came it also came w/ a "credit education kit" from a place called American credit educators located in Denver, CO. Supposedly this "kit" was worth $300 it consisted of a couple video tapes, a couple booklets and a pen- basically a rip-off the $300 was charged to the ACE visa credit card. Well I had cancelled the account and sent back the kit they sent. I never heard back from them. The card had a balance on it when we cancelled it and we included it in a BK7 in 2001. I then started cleaning up my credit reports and found a tradeline listed on all 3 credit reports from American credit educators that shows it is an open installment account with a past due balance of $300 180 days past due , no mention of BK. So I dispute it & they then send me a letter trying to collect the debt that was discharged and I inform them of the BK and offer them the file number and they wouldn't accept that . They have had numerous complaints from hundreds of people. Would I have a case in small claims aginst them?

BL

Dispute it with the Credit reporting Agencies.Send proof of the BK.

Last edited:

BellaK

I have disputed with the credit reporting agencies. And they have verified it with this company and now this company is trying to collect on the discharged debt. And you should never send your BK paperwork to the credit reporting agencies. But thanks for the help.

BL

Contact the FTC for pamphlets on FCRA and FDCPA .

Contact your States' Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs. File a Complaint with them.

If the Company or collection Agency is Violation the the FDCPA or FCRA then yes you can sue .

BellaK

How would I go about taking this one step up from small claims? I have done some checking on this company and they have had hundreds of complaints against them for scamming consumers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">