• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for dog on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawkjm73

Arizona

An aquantance mentioned it is neccissary to post a "beware of dog" sign on a yard with any dog in it. The reason he gave was that any person, trespassing or not, who should be injured by the dog could sue. I know that anyone can sue over anything, but he also said he'd heard of people winning these cases. Am I indeed liable for injury, due to a dog or any other feature, to a person entering my property without permision?

Jenny Hawkins

P.S. My dog is a Great Dane puppy. He is being trained to absolutly never bite, but dogs are animals and any animal can bite.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hawkjm73 said:
Arizona

An aquantance mentioned it is neccissary to post a "beware of dog" sign on a yard with any dog in it. The reason he gave was that any person, trespassing or not, who should be injured by the dog could sue. I know that anyone can sue over anything, but he also said he'd heard of people winning these cases. Am I indeed liable for injury, due to a dog or any other feature, to a person entering my property without permision?

Jenny Hawkins

P.S. My dog is a Great Dane puppy. He is being trained to absolutly never bite, but dogs are animals and any animal can bite.

My response:

While it's somewhat helpful to have such a sign, it's not a complete defense in the event of a dog bite. First, there's always children. Second, there are certain people allowed on your property by "right"; e.g., utilities, mail, firemen, police, etc. Third, even the "average Joe" has a right to be on your property for the sole purpose of coming to your front door to knock; e.g., Jehovah Witness, salesperson, next-door neighbor, etc.

Dog bite cases in Arizona are "strict liability" cases - - meaning that you're on the hook should your dog bite someone who has a lawful purpose on your property. Even some situations involving trespassing will still cause you liability.

IAAL

H

hawkjm73

Is there a differentation made between "publicly accessable" areas (front door, utility box, sidewalk) and "private" areas (locked and fenced yard, locked house)?
Can putting up a "beware of dog" sign be seen as admiting, "I think my dog is dangerous, so stay away?" Are there better signs that alert people to a dog's presence without implying a known danger?
Another thing the aquantance mentioned was, in a similar problem, a buglar who, breaking into a house, cut himself on glass from a window he broke. The buglar then won a suit against the homeowners for the injury. Is this a plausable case? If so how can I protect myself against such an event?

Jenny Hawkins

stephenk

"Another thing the aquantance mentioned was, in a similar problem, a buglar who, breaking into a house, cut himself on glass from a window he broke. The buglar then won a suit against the homeowners for the injury. Is this a plausable case? If so how can I protect myself against such an event?"

Urban legend. Dont believe your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">