• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limiting officers based on College attended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aychkay

Hello all,

I am a student at a Florida 4-year public university. The office of Vice President recently opened on the executive board of a student-run administrative body comprised of representatives from each College.

The problem, though, is this clause in the charter of the organization:

SECTION 1. Qualifications.
B. Prohibitions on Executive Board.
(1) No more than two students from the same college may serve as elected officials on the Executive Board.

Already there are two members from my College on the Executive Board (Treasurer, Secretary). At last year's elections, one student was denied the opportunity to run for office because the position he sought was lower-ranked than the other positions filled by students from his college.

Is this practice discriminatory? If not, is it illegal by any other means? Being that Vice President is higher ranked than Treasurer or Secretary, do they have the right to deny me the opportunity to run? This clause does not seem just to me, but I don't know where to begin to look to argue against it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not illegal discrimination. I sincerely doubt that it is in any way illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">