• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

client confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DIANE UTTER

What is the name of your state? IA

My ex-husband and I have joint custody of minor child. We hired an attorney to represent that minor child in a criminal case last year. We have since divored and divide all related legal fees equally. I am current at this time and owe this attorney nothing. My ex's sister is the legal assistant for this attorney. I have private conversations with this attorney concerning and joint custody matters and concerns that I have. I am aware that he shares these with his legal assistant (my ex's sister) on a professional basis. However, recently my child referred to the conversations I had with the attorney, and said it was not her dad that had told her about it. When I asked the attorney about it he said he had not talked to my ex or my child about my conversations with him concerning custody issues. When I expressed my concern that it could have been his legal assisant talking to my ex or my child and telling them about the conversations he said that it would not be a confidentiality issue because we are both her parents and it was something concerning our child....basically, that it is okay for her to talk about my conversations with the attorney concerning our child, to my ex-husband. Is this a breach of client/attorney confidentiality?

JETX

"Is this a breach of client/attorney confidentiality?"
*** Though I certainly do not condone the legal assistants conversation, in my opinion, no. The reason is that you both "have joint custody of minor child" meaning that he has equal right to 'hear' the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">