• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother not wanting to abide by fathers will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BellaK

What is the name of your state?MInnesota
My father has named my half brother as the executor of his estate. There are 8 siblings and i know for a fact that the estate is supposed to be divided among the children. My brothe does not like about half of us and has said that he is in controll of the estate and will do whatever he pleases meaning good luck in trying to get what we are entitled to. he is refusing to coooperate and seems to think he can divide up the estate anyway he pleases even if that means not giving us what our father left us. Can he do that? He lives in washington state as did my father. Do we as my fathers biological children have more of a claim to his estate than my half brother who is not my fathers child and was never adopted by him either?

K

krispenstpeter

You never stated in your post whether or not the will has been probated or if the sibling has not yet begun probate? Regardless, you need to hire a probate attorney to represent your interests in Washington where your father died.

If probate has begun, then the will MUST be followed according to the state probate laws. However, he might be trying to do this without the will, in which case, you need to begin probate as 'intestate' (without a will) to either force your rights under the law or force him to produce the will.

K

krispenstpeter

Then you and your other siblings hire an attorney and START probate NOW!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">