• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Contact Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidoday

What is the name of your state? MI

My ex b/f decided to come into my house (had a key) while I was away and trashed the house, stole my tv remote and some photographs. I pressed charges against him. That isn't my question, just the lead up. While the officer was here he issued a no contact order to the ex b/f not to call, email, come over, or drive by the house. I don't understand the difference of a no contact order and a RO. I know a RO has to be issued by the courts, so is the no contact order issued for only this town, and how does it work?

Thank you.

n_and

I'm not too sure how RO's work but I do have a NCO against someone right now. A no contact order gets dropped in one year, and is issued at no cost to you. I believe a RO is permanent (until dropped by a court); and costs money to obtain. Also, A NCO is not just for your town - he can't contact you, wherever you are, period.

Sorry to hear about your house getting trashed and stuff stolen - that really sucks.

kidoday

Correct me if I am wrong. A nco is only issued after the person has been arrested for criminal charges. In my case he wasn't arrested, so I should go get the RO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">