• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

71 in a 55 MPH zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dragoma

What is the name of your state? IN

I received a speeding ticket from a State officer. He stated he clocked me doing between 67 and 71. He wrote 71 on the ticket. I have called about deferrment, but because I had a ticket 12/03, I can not defer it. The prosecutor said that he would knock it down to 70 in a 55 but I have to pay the 71 in 55 fine. What is considered reckless driving in IN?? I can not fine the answer anywhere!!! I was considering fighting it also. He didn't seem to know what speed I was doing but wrote the maximum on the ticket. Also, could I take a defensive driving class and it not even go on my license?? I am a used car dealer and it was on a dealer tag. I'd just bought the car at an auction and had cruise set at 65. The insurance will go up and i'm trying to avoid that!!! :eek: Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HomeGuru

Dragoma said:
What is the name of your state? IN

I received a speeding ticket from a State officer. He stated he clocked me doing between 67 and 71. He wrote 71 on the ticket. I have called about deferrment, but because I had a ticket 12/03, I can not defer it. The prosecutor said that he would knock it down to 70 in a 55 but I have to pay the 71 in 55 fine. What is considered reckless driving in IN?? I can not fine the answer anywhere!!! I was considering fighting it also. He didn't seem to know what speed I was doing but wrote the maximum on the ticket. Also, could I take a defensive driving class and it not even go on my license?? I am a used car dealer and it was on a dealer tag. I'd just bought the car at an auction and had cruise set at 65. The insurance will go up and i'm trying to avoid that!!! :eek: Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**A: the excuses that you gave in your last sentences are useless.

JETX

"What is considered reckless driving in IN?? I can not fine the answer anywhere!!!"
*** Clearly, you didn't. Here is the applicable statute, from the Indiana Code:
"IC 9-21-8-52
Reckless driving; Class B misdemeanor; damage to property; suspension
(a) A person who operates a vehicle and who recklessly:
(1) drives at such an unreasonably high rate of speed or at such an unreasonably low rate of speed under the circumstances as to:
(A) endanger the safety or the property of others; or
(B) block the proper flow of traffic;
(2) passes another vehicle from the rear while on a slope or on a curve where vision is obstructed for a distance of less than five hundred (500) feet ahead;
(3) drives in and out of a line of traffic, except as otherwise permitted;
(4) speeds up or refuses to give one-half (1/2) of the roadway to a driver overtaking and desiring to pass; or
(5) passes a school bus stopped on a roadway when the arm signal device specified in IC 20-9.1-5-14 is in the device's extended position;
commits a Class B misdemeanor."
Source: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar21/ch8.html

"I was considering fighting it also. He didn't seem to know what speed I was doing but wrote the maximum on the ticket."
*** Not relevant.

"Also, could I take a defensive driving class and it not even go on my license??"
*** Your post already says you are ineligble. Why ask??

"I am a used car dealer and it was on a dealer tag. I'd just bought the car at an auction and had cruise set at 65."
*** So??? Your post says that the speed limit is 55, yet you set the cruise control for 65???

"The insurance will go up and i'm trying to avoid that!!"
*** Then don't speed.

D

Dragoma

JETX: I said I wasn't eligible for the deferrment program (Where you pay a fee and can't get a ticket within 6 months or they BOTH go on your license AND not eligible if having a ticket within 2 yrs). I was asking if i would be able to take a defensive driving class instead. If I knew the answer I wouldn't be asking here.

HomeGuru: They are not excuses in the last sentance. I was giving my imput. I know they wouldn't hold up in court alone.

Now, since it says I was doing 16 over the speed limit, what are the 'consequences' I may receive?? (Besides a heftier fine?) I know states are different when doing under 15 over the speed limit and then the 'rules' change when doing more than 16 over. That's what I'm trying to find out??

Why would the prosecutor offer to mark it down to 70 in a 55 but still pay the 71 in a 55 fine?? We've established it's not reckless driving.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">