• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driveway rights.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

truparad0x

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

This is actually regarding a friend's house. My friend has a house on the corner of two streets, with her driveway on the side street. The driveway sits right between my friend's house and the neighbor's on the side street. It is not fenced off nor does it have a structure on it. Last summer, the neighbor (let's call him FG for Fat Guy) gave us a lot of trouble for not letting him park there. He stated that his aunt owned half the driveway and that the previous owner of my friend's house lets him park there when he needs to. However, my friend states that the driveway belongs to her. We even went as far as going down to the registry of deeds and traced the plot back to this supposed "aunt."

According to our research, the plot was sold to a doctor who bought the house to use for his practice. Therefore the doctor had the entire driveway when he sold it to the owner before my friend. The house with the driveway was then transferred to my friend. We told FG this and he claims he has another deed showing he still owns half the driveway and that he'd "hate to put up a fence so no one could use the driveway." He just wanted occasional usage of the driveway. We told him we can't grant him that because my friend has a car that would be blocked in. She also has tenants that use the driveway.

Nonetheless, FG has a visitor that comes and parks in the driveway. Whenever we ring the doorbell to have the car moved, they give us a lot of trouble saying we can't do anything about it and that they own the driveway. We tell them again and again that they can't park there and that we have a deed showing that we own the driveway. The FG always tells the kid who parks there to move when we tell them too, but the kid is ignorant and frequently parks there.

Since this is my friend's house I don't really want to do anything to make her living situation worse. She's the one that lives next to the FG. Is there anyway we can resolve this issue. The neighbors obviously would not listen to us. It's rather inconvenient waiting 15 min for them to move their car so we can access ours. It's disturbing that they continue to think that the driveway is partly theirs. What can we do? I've heard we can't tow their car.

HomeGuru

truparad0x said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

This is actually regarding a friend's house. My friend has a house on the corner of two streets, with her driveway on the side street. The driveway sits right between my friend's house and the neighbor's on the side street. It is not fenced off nor does it have a structure on it. Last summer, the neighbor (let's call him FG for Fat Guy) gave us a lot of trouble for not letting him park there. He stated that his aunt owned half the driveway and that the previous owner of my friend's house lets him park there when he needs to. However, my friend states that the driveway belongs to her. We even went as far as going down to the registry of deeds and traced the plot back to this supposed "aunt."

According to our research, the plot was sold to a doctor who bought the house to use for his practice. Therefore the doctor had the entire driveway when he sold it to the owner before my friend. The house with the driveway was then transferred to my friend. We told FG this and he claims he has another deed showing he still owns half the driveway and that he'd "hate to put up a fence so no one could use the driveway." He just wanted occasional usage of the driveway. We told him we can't grant him that because my friend has a car that would be blocked in. She also has tenants that use the driveway.

Nonetheless, FG has a visitor that comes and parks in the driveway. Whenever we ring the doorbell to have the car moved, they give us a lot of trouble saying we can't do anything about it and that they own the driveway. We tell them again and again that they can't park there and that we have a deed showing that we own the driveway. The FG always tells the kid who parks there to move when we tell them too, but the kid is ignorant and frequently parks there.

Since this is my friend's house I don't really want to do anything to make her living situation worse. She's the one that lives next to the FG. Is there anyway we can resolve this issue. The neighbors obviously would not listen to us. It's rather inconvenient waiting 15 min for them to move their car so we can access ours. It's disturbing that they continue to think that the driveway is partly theirs. What can we do? I've heard we can't tow their car.
**A: have your neighbor take all her documents to a real estate attorney for review. Without knowing exactly who owns the land where the cars park, we are unable to provide any advice.

T

truparad0x

HomeGuru said:
**A: have your neighbor take all her documents to a real estate attorney for review. Without knowing exactly who owns the land where the cars park, we are unable to provide any advice.
Suppose my friend owns the driveway, which i believe she does according to the deed (it shows two plots, the original and the "half" driveway). What can she do to prevent the neighbors from parking there short of building a fence. Are we allowed to tow their car? Do we have to bring them to court and get some sort of order so they get fined each time they park? What can we do?

K

krispenstpeter

We don't do "suppose". We deal in facts only. Do as HG suggested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">