• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IS Social Security benefits for our son counted as income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

motherearth

What is the name of your state?IL

Hello again. I have a ? again...Tad was awarded 754.oo per month from his disabled Dad. He is 9. WIll this stop before he is 18 w/out notice, and we now live in Housing Authority (no comments please, we cant afford rent full price). Will the HA count this money as mine, although it isnt really mine> Can it be used to determine income when the payee is myself and my child? I read in another post that it cannot be counted in court as income.
Just wondering if it would be better to move out of HA and get a place (can afford with my working, and SS benefits) on my own, BUT I need to know, that this money will not just disappear one day. The ex is Disabled. Permanent I was told, but they review him every three years. I know my ex wont do anything to ruin that much money a month. He is really hurt as well. Is this money counted? And is it Ok to use some of this to help us live. Ex was never a good parent, never paid a dime. I am not looking to get rich, I understand that some of it goes to Tad alone.
:confused:
Thank s!

Last edited:

Whyte Noise

Actually, it is ALL to go to Tad.

If you read the SSA site very thoroughly, it will explain everything to you. You will have to hunt and dig, but it's there.

Representative payee's generally have to fill out a form at the end of the year stating what the SS money was used for. You should keep ALL receipts for 2 years, because they can come back and audit you if they feel the money isn't being used.

You should also keep his money separate from yours. If you have a checking account, you should have his name on the account, and yours as the representative payee. EX:

Jane Doe
Representative payee for Tad Doe.

The SSA has some freaky rules on what money is counted as being "theirs". (Paid to a claimant or dependent.) If a claimant has an acocunt, and their money is DD'd into that account, then ALL money in that account is deemed to belong to the claimant, no matter if it is or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">