• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting Handicap Parking Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hh023

What is the name of your state? California

Today I had to stop for a minute at a handicap parking ramp, the crossed ramp, because I had to pick up someone.
There was somebody parked in the handicap, but he was just waiting in his car, not using the ramp at all.
Then he called the police (not sure who he called) and told them that I parked there.
But then I left right away after done loading.

My question is: would the police/parking office that he called has the right to ticket me even though the officer based on a phone call?
I didn't see the caller took picture of my car there, he only opened his notebook and used his cell phone

Thanks

CdwJava

It's possible that they might mail a ticket to you, but I doubt it. I have never heard of it being done, but, I believe that it may be possible in theory. But I doubt it will happen unless the officer saw you there.

Bottom line is: Is the possibility of a $300+ citation worth the few feet you saved? I have personally issued parking cites to people pulling in to drop video tapes off at the local video store. All it takes is a second.

Carl

Last edited:
H

hh023

Thanks for your input, CdwJava,
but if the officer does send me a ticket, how would s/he know if the report was not bogus?
Because if anybody can just call in and report it without evidence, it would be like a witch-hunt a few hundred years ago.

My question now is: What is the requirement for a Californian officer to issue a handicap parking violation? Does the officer have to be at the spot?

CdwJava, I really appreciate your input, especially from an actual officer

Thanks

Last edited:

CdwJava

Well, it would really depend on the specific violation and local policy for filing infractions based upon a citizen complaint only. As I said, I have never actually seen it done, but in theory, it could probably be filed as any other complaint would - written by an officer, based upon the complainant's statement, and submitted to the DA or city attorney for filing. As with any complaint, guilt would have to be determined beyond a reasonable doubt. Whether a judge or hearing officer might believe the statement of the complainant is hard to say.

Personally, I doubt you have anything to worry about. I really doubt they will send you a citation or will file it at all. Usually, if the driver is gone when we arrive, its time to go for coffee ... okay, maybe not coffee, but you get the idea.

Carl

K

krispenstpeter

HH count yourself lucky that it wasn't me that caught you. I have more then 100 'tickets' to my credit and included in those are more than 30 towaways.

No, I'm not a cop. I'm a disabled veteran who doesn't use a disabled placard but damn sure thinks it's disgusting when people who are perfectly healthy take advantage of the spots for 'convenience'.

And I have no problem calling the police, filling out a citizen complaint and calling the tow truck when appropriate. So pay the fine and realize that you got off lucky. And be thankful that you don't HAVE to use the spot.

L

llnn

krispenstpeter said:
HH count yourself lucky that it wasn't me that caught you. .....it's disgusting when people who are perfectly healthy take advantage of the spots for 'convenience'....
I totally agree there.. It is even worse when I saw and know a perfectly healthy person, with the handicap sign, a certificate, and took advantage of of handicap benefits.. I know one right now and trying to find a way to report him.. But don't know where to begin. The only problem is that everytime I reported the abuse, I am risk getting a law suit myself since these people (who knows to take advantage of the system) has a better knowledge about laws and likely to know a better lawer. Handicap is meant for disable people to help them get up to speed in life to be equal with others. Unfortunately, there are always the selfish ones that figures out the loopo and take advantage of it. That's sad! I wish there is a way to get rid of these people.

JETX

It is possible that the persons call could result in a ticket being issued.... either to your door or by mail. Several states have enacted policies that allow citizens to 'patrol' handicap parking violations. The following are some of them in the writers state (California):

LASD (Los Angeles Sheriff Department)-Whittier:
"The Volunteers on Patrol (VOP) invested 1,810 hours of time on the street conducting vacation checks, handicap parking violations, area observations, and by assisting in surveillance operations and disaster planning."
http://www.lasd.org/stations/for3/norwalk/services_whittier-public-safety.html

Riverside PD:
"The Riverside Police Department has a Handicapped Parking Enforcement Unit. Its members consist of four volunteers that use city vehicles to patrol and enforce handicap-parking violations."
http://www.ci.riverside.ca.us/rpd/traffic/traffic.htm

Tuolumne County Sheriff Dept:
"The CAP volunteers also can issue parking citations for handicap parking violations, assist in the county disasters, take field reports, as well as assist traffic and parking at special community events."
http://www.goserv.ca.gov/news/newsFiles/PR_Tuolumne.pdf

Newport Beach:
"Council Member Ridgeway reported that the amendment allows the Police Department to designate Police Volunteers, under certain circumstances, to issue citations on private property for handicap parking violations, and that Subsection A of the proposed ordinance gives Police Department staff the power to issue citations for any violation of this code."

And others.

C

cconver

Handicap parking Arizona

Arizona - There is a man in our neighborhood who walks uphill about 2 miles every day and yet has a handicap parking sign hanging from his rear view window.

We think he got the handicap hangar from his deceased father. Is there any way we can report him?

panther_v

state of california.

i had a similar situation like yours. here is a little background.

i stopped at a red curb to drop someone off. it probably took less than 5 seconds, however, that was long enough for "someone" to note my license plate. few weeks later i received a citation in mail. i fought the ticket via mail, claiming that i was not cited on the spot. but the city of los angeles parking enforcement unit stated that an officer witnessed my violation and would not excuse me. i paid the fine eventually.

so to answer your question: yes. they don't have to be there to cite you! as long as there is a witness, you may be cited!

My question is: would the police/parking office that he called has the right to ticket me even though the officer based on a phone call?
I didn't see the caller took picture of my car there, he only opened his notebook and used his cell phone

Thanks

racer72

state of california.

i had a similar situation like yours. here is a little background.

i stopped at a red curb to drop someone off. it probably took less than 5 seconds, however, that was long enough for "someone" to note my license plate. few weeks later i received a citation in mail. i fought the ticket via mail, claiming that i was not cited on the spot. but the city of los angeles parking enforcement unit stated that an officer witnessed my violation and would not excuse me. i paid the fine eventually.

so to answer your question: yes. they don't have to be there to cite you! as long as there is a witness, you may be cited!
Why in the hell are you resurrecting a thread that is over 2 years old? The OP is long gone and never to be heard from again, can we expect the same from you?

CdwJava

I can guarantee you that the DMV in my state will not be investigating these and neither will local police. The BEST choice would be for the person who observes unlawful parking or improper use of a handicapped placard to call the police. Third hand reports such as these have no legal foundation and would not be investigated anywhere I know of.

It is a noble effort, and the thought is well meaning. But, I do not want anyone to get the mistaken impression that these reports would actually be investigated by law enforcement unless accompanied by a direct call to the agency responsible for the investigation ... and even then, these would not likely be investigated beyond the patrol response level (i.e. sending a car to take a look).

I applaud the thought and the awareness campaign, but would recommend that those with concerns also call their local law enforcement agency to report the fraudulent use of placards.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">