• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did some Research but still lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ConfusedFather

What is the name of your state? CT

I've done a bit of research concerning an issue with my son...
The issue is that he is over 20, and he recently found out that this girl he was about to date is 16.. Now he really likes her, Alot even. He has expressed to me that he will remain friends with her till she is 18 and persue a relationship at that time, but its been a month now and i can see the wait bothering him some..

I fear that they both will move past friends.. I did a bit of looking around and read the laws in CT, and from what i read.. there is no laws that would put him at risk besides a few Class D misdemenors if he kept her out too late doing the wrong stuff.. but that wrong stuff in general he cannot be held against for because she is over the age of consent in this state..

My question is.. has my research found me the answer i seek, or is there more laws hiding in the books that may cause problems for my son?

here is the CT law on this for those that dont know it..

-----------------------------
Sec. 53a-73a. Sexual assault in the fourth degree: Class A misdemeanor. (a) A person is guilty of sexual assault in the fourth degree when: (1) Such person intentionally subjects another person to sexual contact who is (A) under fifteen years of age, or (B) mentally defective or mentally incapacitated to the extent that he is unable to consent to such sexual contact, or (C) physically helpless, or (D) less than eighteen years old and the actor is such person's guardian or otherwise responsible for the general supervision of such person's welfare, or (E) in custody of law or detained in a hospital or other institution and the actor has supervisory or disciplinary authority over such other person; or (2) such person subjects another person to sexual contact without such other person's consent; or (3) such person engages in sexual contact with an animal or dead body; or (4) such person is a psychotherapist and subjects another person to sexual contact who is (A) a patient of the actor and the sexual contact occurs during the psychotherapy session, or (B) a patient or former patient of the actor and such patient or former patient is emotionally dependent upon the actor, or (C) a patient or former patient of the actor and the sexual contact occurs by means of therapeutic deception; or (5) such person subjects another person to sexual contact and accomplishes the sexual contact by means of false representation that the sexual contact is for a bona fide medical purpose by a health care professional; or (6) such person is a school employee and subjects another person to sexual contact who is a student enrolled in a school in which the actor works or a school under the jurisdiction of the local or regional board of education which employs the actor.
(b) Sexual assault in the fourth degree is a class A misdemeanor.
-----------------

Section 1A has the age limit on it.. thus if read normally.. since she is over 16.. she would be consindered Legal.. but is there an upper limit to the "actor" that i've not found?

CdwJava

Besides the sexual acts, he could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, or even subject to a restraining order if he keeps her out or sees her against the wishes of her parents. If I had adaughter who was seeing a 20-year-old and he refused to stop seeing her, I would have a restraining order in nothing flat.

While the sex act may not be criminal per se, other related activity COULD land him in hot water. You should remind him that he is an adult and dating a child - a teenager, but still a child under the law. Her parents are responsible for her. If she is to date him - hopefully without engaging in sexual acts - then hopefully it will be with her parents' permission.

In CA he could be charged with a number of crimes - especially if they had sexual relations.

They don't call teen girls 'jail bait' for nothing.

Carl

K

krispenstpeter

The age of consent in Conneticut is 16. Your son, while I don't condone such behavior, is not breaking any law even hanging from a low-hanging tree branch while having monkey sex with this 'GIRL'.

Even under the state's statutory rape provisions there could be no prosecution.

Connecticut

§ 53a-70 (a)(2)

First-degree sexual assault to have sexual intercourse with a person under age 13 if the actor is more than two years older10 to 25 years in prison with a mandatory minimum of five years if the victim is between age 10 and 16 and 10 years if the victim is under age 10. The combined sentence and special parole must equal at least 10 years

§ 53a-71 (a)(1)

Second-degree sexual assault to have sexual intercourse with a person between ages 13 and 16 if the actor is more than two years older

Up to 20 years in prison (nine months mandatory minimum)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is your son prepared to support a child for the next 18 years should she fall pregnant? Is he aware of the financial and emotional ramifications of becoming a father at 20? Perhaps he should think about that before it happens.

T

task_n_kp

What would the consequences in California be for a 17 year old and an 18 year old?

CdwJava

I believe in CA the situation you describe would be a misdemeanor per PC 261.5. As long as consent if freely given, few DA's out here are likely to prosecute in that situation (an 18 year old and a 17 year old) but it IS possible and I have seen it done.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">