• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmc67

What is the name of your state? texas
after substantial decrease in income recently i am in need of child support modification to reduce my monthly court ordered amount. not to take away from my child from this marriage but i have another child who lives with me from another marriage and i can not afford to pay the current court ordered amount. having said this is there a way to have the amount modified with out legal council. reaching a mutual agreement with my former spouse is not possible. if it is possible to do without legal council what would be the best procedures to follow.

navy_kids

Go to your local law library normally found in the court house. And do alot of research. You can file for modification on your own BUT an attorney is highly recommended. There is a substantial amount of papers i.e. petitions, that have to be filed and served. If everything is not to a T your case will most likely not even be considered.

VeronicaGia

If the child that lives with you is not your legal or biological child, you are not legally responsible for the child, and a judge will not take that child into consideration. That child is the responsibility of his/her parents.

You can try to file for a modification, but realize support may or may not be modified. Most states have the ability to impute income to the obligor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">