• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 yr old Traffic ticket Haunting me in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff247

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? NY

I got a ticket 14 years ago. I believe it was speeding reduced to failure to obey traffic signal. Yesterday, in the mail I get a notice of suspension for this 14 year old ticket that "I THINK I took care of". They are saying I didn't. I don't have any proof I took care of it. I don't have any marks on my license and want to keep it that way for insurance reasons. Any help for me? Thanks, Jeff

JETX

"Any help for me?"
*** Since 'they' say you haven't resolved this, and you can't 'remember' (and have no proof that it was), then you need to contact the court and find out what steps you need to take to resolve it. Then do it.
There is no 'magic wand' that you can wave and have it just disappear.

K

krispenstpeter

There is no 'magic wand' that you can wave and have it just disappear.
And you'd better believe that. I recently got stopped in Arizona for speeding and they found a ticket for no seatbelt (it was a 1959 Porsche 356 C) from 1979.

I just paid the damn fine $427 instead of trying to show that that year porsche doesn't need seatbelts. Of course, then I would have had to explain why the officer wrote me for seatbelts when he could have written me for six people in a two-seater, and the blonde on my lap as I was driving.

Deal with it as Jet said. It's not going away.

racer72

6 people in a Porsche? I once travelled over 200 miles in a 62 Ford Falcon with 10 people inside. 4 were children but it was still packed real tight. My mother, sitting in the middle of the front seat, had to do the shifting for me (3 on the tree).

JETX

Hell, thats nothing!!
I once rode a unicycle with four people on it.... we went from Kodiak, Alaska to Ensenada, Mexico. And the air conditioner broke halfway through the trip... and one of our tires was flat. :D

K

krispenstpeter

On the road again...

I just can't wait to get on the road again :D

Jeff247

Case dismissed!!!!

I wrote the Judge the same day I received the suspension notice. I was pleasant but explained how I did not remember the incident and it would be difficult to defend myself after all these years. I also mentioned that I had renewed my license and auto insurance a few times in the past 14 years and this ticket never appeared. I got a letter from the Judge within the week dismissing the charge!!! I have this letter stored away in a safe place incase I need it again!!!!

JETX

Glad to see that my advice ("you need to contact the court and find out what steps you need to take to resolve it. Then do it.") helped you.
And that you apparently got an understanding judge.

Congratulations!
Oh, and you're welcome! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">