• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents Visitation in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twinbridgefarms

What is the name of your state? NY

Post-divorce, do grandparents have visitation rights if custodial parent doesn't allow it? Can the grandparents take any legal action to get visitation?

Thanks

K

krispenstpeter

Post-divorce, do grandparents have visitation rights if custodial parent doesn't allow it?
No.

Can the grandparents take any legal action to get visitation?
Yes. But it will be highly unlikely to succeed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ditto krispy. Your time with the kid(s) is based upon what sort of access the parents are willing to provide. The CP is under no obligation to allow access to his/her own parents, let alone the ex's. Same with the NCP. If the NCP dies (assuming you are the NCPs parent(s)), you'd stand a better chance of getting visitation. Otherwise - parents are actually allowed to decide who spends time with their kids.

D

d8ddysgirl

twinbridgefarms said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Post-divorce, do grandparents have visitation rights if custodial parent doesn't allow it? Can the grandparents take any legal action to get visitation?

Thanks
I live in NY and Grandparents rights were stripped. No such thing exists anymore here.

SO the anwser is NO and NO. I have seen it happen a few times and the judge throws it out and tells them to work it out with the parents.

nextwife

They will have to depend upon the NCP making the children available during some of THIER visitation time.

T

twinbridgefarms

Thanks for the responses. I feel for grandparents in these situations, but in my case the NCP grandmom is a lunatic. So is the NCP, for that matter. :) Granny has an open invitation to visit at the children's home, which I think is very accomodating, but she says not good enough, she wants them for a week 1200 miles away. Anyway, she has been advised to arrange it on the NCP visitation time.

frylover

Wonder if "granny" is related to my mother in law. She thinks grandparents are entitled to the same rights as parents and if she could, she'd probably sue my husband and me for joint custody of our kids.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">