• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

died out of country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdallen

What is the name of your state? Florida
How can I recover escheated funds when the person lived and died outside of the United States? :rolleyes:

Dandy Don

What year did the death occur, and in what city and country?

What state or country is holding the funds and how much is it?

How closely are you related to the decedent, and are there other surviving relatives who could be more closely related?

How did you find out about this money?

If there was a executor to this person's estate, then that is the person who would normally be responsible for claiming this money, but if the estate was never probated in the other country or in the US, then it could probably go to the surviving relative. The state that is holding the money can give you more specific information on who qualifies to get this money or how to claim it if you think you are the person.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

JETX

And 'DandyDon' has overlooked the most important (and likely ONLY) relevant questions:

1) Ddi this person have a 'home' in the US?? If so, then you would follow the laws of his 'home' state.
2) If he didn't have a 'home' in the US (and was a legal resident of that foreign location), then the laws of the resident country would apply.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

NOTHING is relevant about your response, JETX, although in your deluded mind you think it is. Residency has no bearing on who is eventually going to claim this money or how it is going to be done.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
NOTHING is relevant about your response, JETX, although in your deluded mind you think it is. Residency has no bearing on who is eventually going to claim this money or how it is going to be done.
Lets see.... how do I put this tactfully???
Don, you are full of crap if you believe your post.

Lets take a closer look at your post... and its 'relevancy':

"What year did the death occur, and in what city and country?"
*** Simply, if the deceased (and his assets) are in ANY country other than the US, everything that ANY of us post is irrelevant!!

"What state or country is holding the funds and how much is it?"
*** Again, doesn't matter. The writer said his father "lived and died outside of the United States?". That pretty much returns us back to the above..... making your question NOT RELEVANT.

"How closely are you related to the decedent, and are there other surviving relatives who could be more closely related?"
*** Again, NOT RELEVANT. If the deceased and his estate are in fact OUTSIDE of the US, relationship means nothing since we have no idea what, if ANY, legal processes are in that other country.

"How did you find out about this money?"
*** Wow!! That is so NOT RELEVANT to anything that I can't even start to explain the MANY reasons!!

"If there was a executor to this person's estate, then that is the person who would normally be responsible for claiming this money, but if the estate was never probated in the other country or in the US, then it could probably go to the surviving relative. The state that is holding the money can give you more specific information on who qualifies to get this money or how to claim it if you think you are the person.""
*** Again, since this person LIVED AND DIED in another country, any 'guesses' you make as to executors, probate processes, or any other legal process for distribution of the debtors assets are purely that.... guesses!!
And I am really curious.... since you don't even know what country the person died in.... how can you say, "then it could probably go to the surviving relative."??

You are so full of crap, I bet you have brown eyes!!!

Dandy Don

My questions were posted for jdallen to respond to, not for RUDE ATTORNEYS to take up extra space on the message board with their needless responses.

Apparently YOU are familiar with the unclaimed funds process. The information is posted publicly so that relatives/family members can claim the money since they are most likely the legal heirs. And your remark about "guesses" is very weak--an executor CAN claim this money no matter what country it is in.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
My questions were posted for jdallen to respond to, not for RUDE ATTORNEYS to take up extra space on the message board with their needless responses.

Apparently YOU are familiar with the unclaimed funds process. The information is posted publicly so that relatives/family members can claim the money since they are most likely the legal heirs. And your remark about "guesses" is very weak--an executor CAN claim this money no matter what country it is in.
Okay, lets make this REAL easy for you 'Dandy'...
What countries do NOT have 'unclaimed funds processes' as part of their legal processes???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Sometimes, Dandy, you really step in it. You're always asking "How Much", and "How Much" doesn't matter.

Additionally, what if the other country was Afghanistan? Do they have a probate court there?

IAAL

JETX

Don't you just love these twits you profess to be 'experts' (in this case, in probate matters), then assume that domestic legal processes are somehow 'worldwide' practice????

Dandy Don

It matters because unlike you, if I know what country is involved, I can at least try to direct the individual to the proper source for claiming the monies, or to possibly find out what the law is.

Is this message board for the purpose of giving pop quizzes? I guess I flunk and JETX will have to answer her own question so that again we can get the benefit of her brilliant legal expertise.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
It matters because unlike you, if I know what country is involved, I can at least try to direct the individual to the proper source for claiming the monies, or to possibly find out what the law is.

Is this message board for the purpose of giving pop quizzes? I guess I flunk and JETX will have to answer her own question so that again we can get the benefit of her brilliant legal expertise.
Are you really so dense that you don't understand that the jurisdiction of the deceased assets is CRITICAL in being able to answer the writers question accurately??
If so, you must need help getting dressed in the morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">