• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HEYJUD

What is the name of your state? Alabama

After my divorce I was in a financial bind and sold my wedding rings to a friend who was getting married. I let her make payments and she did for a while, but she still owes me $300.00. I think the last payment she made was maybe 4 0r 5 years ago. She claims she lost them, I think it is more likely that she pawned them, and refuses to pay me the rest of the money. I have given her every opportunity to make this right and she always says she will send me some money every time I call her but she never does. Is it too late for me to do anything about it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HEYJUD said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

After my divorce I was in a financial bind and sold my wedding rings to a friend who was getting married. I let her make payments and she did for a while, but she still owes me $300.00. I think the last payment she made was maybe 4 0r 5 years ago. She claims she lost them, I think it is more likely that she pawned them, and refuses to pay me the rest of the money. I have given her every opportunity to make this right and she always says she will send me some money every time I call her but she never does. Is it too late for me to do anything about it?

My response:

Well, finally some good news for you on one of your many posts! (I hope)

You have six years to collect an oral or written debt in Alabama. I hope you can prove your contract with some sort of writing. If not, then this response may not be good news after all.

But, you may as well sue her in Small Claims court, and hopefully she'll admit to the deal you two had, and that she never fully paid you. Of course, I also hope to be having lobster for dinner, but it doesn't always happen.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">