• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vicarious liability of landlord for copyright infringement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cswarsaw

What is the name of your state?Copyright infringement by tenants: Is a shopping mall owner vicariously liable for copyright infringement by some of his tenants?

There are several stores in this mall that sell pirated CDs, DVDs, and computer software. The shopping mall owner knows about this activity because: (a) he mentions it right on the mall's website; (b) the local press regularly mentions that you can buy pirate merchandise at this mall, so it is "notorious"; (c) the police have conducted IPR raids in the mall, and; (d) when you walk around in the mall, vendors come up and ask if you want to buy pirate merchandise. The mall owner benefits directly because the shopkeepers pay him under a lease, and the well-known presence of the pirate merchandise attracts customers who also patronize the other stores, pay for parking, consume food and drink etc. The mall owner can terminate leases for many different reasons, including failure to obey local laws.

I've seen some older cases on the net involving flea markets and trade shows, but nothing very recent and nothing that involves a shopping mall where the shops are somewhat more permanent in nature. Is this mall owner at risk of a civil suit for infringement? Any criminal liability?

All thoughts and comments greatly appreciated!

C

cswarsaw

Is a shopping mall owner vicariously liable for copyright infringement by some of his

Sorry if you were confused. My question is indeed about U.S. law. I would think that the problem would be governed by the Feds, since leaving it to the states would result in a patchwork of conflicting regulations. So, again, does anyone know if a shopping mall owner vicariously liable for copyright infringement by some of his tenants?

JETX

Okay, lets try this again (since you clearly didn't get the 'hint'!!).
Questions about U.S. law ONLY. Please Include your state

C

cswarsaw

Thanks anyway. I got what I needed from the Associate General Counsel at the IIPA. He gave me a couple of cases from 2nd and 9th Circuits that pretty much spell it out. Good luck with your forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">