• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speed Traps in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sikora

I live in Georgia. I recieved a speeding ticket for doing 52 in a 35mph zone. The police officer clocked me less than half a mile from the speed limit sign. The normal speed on the road is 45mph. It is a 5 lane road 4 lanes and a center lane for turning. There was a church and school in the area, but I was pulled over at midnight when there is no school and church. Are there speed trap laws in Gwinnett County Georgia?

ellencee

Sikora
Ah, Gwinnett County--wonderful place, truly, and we were just there!

You were in a 'residential' area where speed limits are 35 miles per hour. For many years, the generally accepted rule has been that less than 10 miles over the speed limit doesn't get you a ticket--fast forward to the recent past--didn't you see all those recent notices that it would no longer be tolerated or excused and persons exceeding the speed limit would be ticketed? Residents got tired of not being able to exit into their neighborhoods because of speeding motorists, and all those wrecks! ugh!

The only speed trap 'laws' in GA of which I am aware are further south, where the true speed trap exits--you know, speed limit signs that change abruptly around a curve and the police car is waiting for you to "round" that curve!

EC

HomeGuru

Sikora said:
I live in Georgia. I recieved a speeding ticket for doing 52 in a 35mph zone. The police officer clocked me less than half a mile from the speed limit sign. The normal speed on the road is 45mph. It is a 5 lane road 4 lanes and a center lane for turning. There was a church and school in the area, but I was pulled over at midnight when there is no school and church. Are there speed trap laws in Gwinnett County Georgia?

**A: so at midnight the school and church disappear?

S

Sikora

HomeGuru said:
**A: so at midnight the school and church disappear?
Usually schools zones are from set times. I knew I was in a school zone so I thought that the 35mph zone was not in affect because of how late it was. In Georgia they have a lot of roads by schools and most of them ONLY reduce the speed when school is letting in and out, there will be times on the signs stating when the speed change is in effect. Unfortunately the speed reduces to 35mph at that point, even though the whole entire road Beaver Ruin is 45mph other than this one spot.

Thanks for the answer, I am still going to see what I can do to fight this in court.

HomeGuru

Sikora said:
Usually schools zones are from set times. I knew I was in a school zone so I thought that the 35mph zone was not in affect because of how late it was. In Georgia they have a lot of roads by schools and most of them ONLY reduce the speed when school is letting in and out, there will be times on the signs stating when the speed change is in effect. Unfortunately the speed reduces to 35mph at that point, even though the whole entire road Beaver Ruin is 45mph other than this one spot.

Thanks for the answer, I am still going to see what I can do to fight this in court.
**A: My point being that the reference to the church and school is of no consequence since you were driving well over the posted speed limit regardless.

lwpat

There is little that you can do to fight the ticket. You best bet is to negotiate for an under 14mph violation that won't show on your record.

Most Georgia courts will reduce it 3-4 mph if you show for court.

S

Sikora

HomeGuru said:
**A: My point being that the reference to the church and school is of no consequence since you were driving well over the posted speed limit regardless.
Well the school and the church ARE the reason why the speed limit is 35mphs.

Again, this was a 5 lane road (not some two lane windy road). There are not that many 5 lane roads that are only 35mphs that I drive on. After the ticket I measured how far the cop was after the speed limit changed to 35mph. He was less than 100 yards after the speed limit changed to 35mph. I thought that was unfare, I made sure there were no other 35mph signs on the road that I missed. There were NONE!!! The one before that was 45mph, just like the one before that and the one before that and the one before that. I have video taped the road so the judge can see that there are no other 35mph speed limit signs on the road and exactly were the police officer was when he zapped me with the laser. I never tried to slow down because I thought the speed limit was 45 and I was only going 52.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">