• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy Ex Boyfriend's Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aglennan

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

Last year I dated an individual who was evicted from his apartment. To help him out I rented a uhaul and put all of his stuff into my apartment so that he would not lose his stuff to the apartment that evicted him. About a month later his mother came by my apartment with a truck and got a few of his furniture items, but left several other things. The relationship went sour and I kicked him out of the apartment and told him to get his stuff out as well. Several times I had told him to get his stuff, but he never did. At one point he came by to talk about getting back together, at which point he sold his bed to me, which I got in writting. I also cashed a check for his mother for 180.00 which turned up the next day as stop payment. Now his mother is treatening to sue me in civil court because I stole and will not return these items. She also claims that the bed was not his to sell. Anyway, to make a long story short, I never returned the items becuase she had told me that she would reimburse me for the check that bounced. Where in the world do I stand against this crazy lady? :confused:

A

aglennan

Even though I have given her nine months to collect the stuff, and never received a demand letter?

jmeloow

I don't know any better...

I believe there is more to it than simply possessing his property... if you did not take it from him with the intent to deprive him of ownership, then I don't believe you have stolen anything. The circumstances you describe lead to something like abondoned property.
There was no problem with the way that these things came into your home... when he left it was his responsibility to take them with him. You say you gave him opportunity to take these things... I can't imagine anyone would have a case that you stole anything. He simply left it.
Do these items actually belong to him or to his mother? If they elong to him then you should still give the items back, or if you like give him notice that if he does not claim them within a set time that you will sell them, give them away, or even charge him a storage fee.
If they belong to his mother then it seems reasonable that you could keep these things unless she honors the check.... and as for the check, find out the applicable laws in your state because I know here in CA you could sue her for up to 3 times the amount of the check... of course I don't know the details of that, but it is worth investigating.
All this said, and with your understanding I am by no means a legal expert, I don't believe you have anything to worry about. People like to threaten to sue all the time but I'd venture to say that the majority of them do not have a case. Yes, she can sue you and drag you in to court, but you should not worry if she does because it would be in your favor.
I'll shut up now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">