• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First moving ticket (running a signal). Is it worth contesting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tony93

What is the name of your state? DC

I got a ticket for running through the signal light in late April in DC. $75, 2 points. I did not sign the ticket because both of my wife and I did not see the light turned to red. The officer first wrote down a wrong street then he corrected it on the ticket. I requested a hearing and it is schedule in late July. Guess DC traffic court has got a lot of hearing.

Although I did not sign the ticket, I do not have any supporting stuff to fight, except that my wife may be a witness. It is still within 30 days and I may not be in town at the end of July and in August. Is it worth the trouble contesting it? My insurance company is Geico. If going to the court, what should I prepare for? I was told I can go to traffic school to avoid points if i lose when I shceduled the hearing.

This is the first moving tickets in my life. I have had a couple of parking tickets and one for speeding caught by camera, all in DC. I was holding a Maryland license at the time but I just cahnged to an Virginia license.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Tony

Last edited:

JETX

"Is it worth the trouble contesting it?"
*** Depends on what grounds you intend to present. However, based on your post, if it is just "We didn't see it", pay the ticket and move on.

T

tony93

JETX said:
"Is it worth the trouble contesting it?"
*** Depends on what grounds you intend to present. However, based on your post, if it is just "We didn't see it", pay the ticket and move on.
Thanks, JETX. Will the two points be a big deal on my insurance rate? I should have a clean record except for a couple of parking tickets and one for speeding caught by camera (61/50, no point). The clerk told me I could go to traffic school to avoid points if I'm found liable in the hearing. If the insurance goes up much, I may plea guilty and go to traffic school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">