• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phoxyred

What is the name of your state?Illinois

My ex husband had my son from age 18 month to 14 yrs. Last year at age 15, he threw him out of the house because he was stealing and sent him to live with me, his mother. In order to get him into school, I had to get primary
custody, which I did. I kept him here for a year in which he caused all kinds of problems, and I almost landed in jail due to his truancy, etc. I sent him back to Illinois to live with this paternal grandparents. (I live in Nevada). The theporary guardianship order that was prepared said that I was not going to pay child support but would maintain medical insurance which I have done and will continue to do. The state of Illinois now wants reimbursement from me for benefits. His dad is a deadbeat and doesn't work so they can't get anything from him. Since I am still the custodial parent do I have to pay support to the state?

P

phoxyred

He didn't take care of him....he lived on the streets, with friends and grandparents for 11 of the 13 years. I was never privy to any of this or I would have found a way to try to get custody. I never wanted him to have custody at all. However, after he beat me beyond recognition and I got out of the hospital, I left him and took the kids with me. I spent over a year moving across the country trying to get settled somewhere and start a new life for us. Unfortunately, his family had a lot of money and hired a private investigator to find us. Everytime I got a job, he found me with my social security number. My ex would come after us, and I would have to move again. Even though he knew where I was, he served me with divorce papers via public citation in the newspaper of the town that we lived in together last.
He was able to get awarded temporary custody and when I stayed in one place to long, the sherrif was able to come and pick up the kids for him.
Unfortunatley, I was only 20 and had no idea what to do....

Last edited:

kat1963

The state isn't going to care if your ex is working or not. He will be ordered to pay support just as you have been (though I can't say it will be equal amounts). You aren't going to see paper work that shows total amount due: your share minus his share. Chances are you will never know how much he was forced to pay unless he tells you. The state also doesn't care about the prior history between the two of you. The states only interest is that the taxpayers don't have to foot the entire bill for the raising and caring of this boy.
If you don't want to pay, go get him back.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">