• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do I start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DeeCamas

What is the name of your state? Washington.

Hi,

I'll try to be brief. I purchase and resell items on eBay. Early last summer (2003) I had a seller contact me privately to sell me All Clad sets (pots & pans) offline at a better price than I could purchase conventionally. Although, I was skeptical, everything was moving along just fine for months. He was true to his word and I always got them. Then came September. One shipment was damaged by UPS and returned to the seller, which he never made good on (either refunded money or sent a new one) and then two other shipments never arrived. To this day he still says that "he is working on them". Since that time period I haven't purchased from him offline. However over the winter I started purchasing again through eBay, figuring I was a little more protected. Well it happened again. One was damaged through UPS, sent back to the seller and he hasn't made good on it. He now owes me $1600. The seller is located in New York. What, if anything, can I do about it?

Thank you for any advice.

Dee

MBMom

Sales Outside of eBay

eBay Policy
Listings that attempt to make sales outside of eBay are not permitted and will be ended. The Insertion Fee will be automatically credited for that listing.

Examples:
Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay feature to offer to sell an item outside of eBay to any of your bidders in a Reserve Not Met listing.
Listings of catalogs from which buyers may directly order items are prohibited. In these situations, the seller will typically offer the catalog for low bid prices and complete sales outside of eBay for items found in the catalog.
The eBay item page cannot refer to or promote the seller's individual Web site, off eBay sales or other businesses.

I don't see that there's much that can be done since your purchases were made outside of eBay. As for the ones you made afterwards on eBay, I don't see much chance in getting your money back, but you can always notify eBay to make them aware.

Last edited:

divgradcurl

He now owes me $1600. The seller is located in New York. What, if anything, can I do about it?
Sue him in small claims court. In NY. And no, you can't recover the costs of flying out to NY for the lawsuit.

That's the trouble with doing business across state lines...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">