• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to know...to stop worrying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heather628

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I had a few people over for a bbq, a fight started and i ran outside to get someone to stop it. I had nothing to do the fight. Well when i got back inside one guy's mouth was bleeding...since then he has been to the hospitol and lost 2 teeth and had to have his jaw wired together. The people in my apartment said he was hit with a beer bottle. Anyway..He said he is going to sue me because it was my apartment. Can he do that? I do not have renter's insurance or any type of home insurance. Should i even be worried about this happening? :confused:

stephenk

he can sue you since you are supposed to be in charge of what goes on in your dwelling. how is the injured guy connected to you - friend, relative, stranger?

who did he fight with? Who started the fight? All of these issues need to be known to determine what, if any, liability you may face.

Were the police called?

heather628

the guy that got hit in the face is my friend's boyfriend, i had just met him a bout a week before. The guy who hit him in the face is my friend's 1/2 brother. I hadn't seen him in about 3 years and never really talked to him, neither were friend's of mine. I DID TRY TO STOP THE FIGHT. I went outside to get a guy to help me, and when i got back in like i said he was bleeding. So i told everyone to leave. No the cops were not called. He went to the police station the next day. I do not have any type of renter's insurance and i am 24 yrs. old and have nothing that i own. So i am not even sure what they could sue me for.

heather628

Oh i forgot to answer, I am not really sure who started the fight...it started as just a verbal fight between the injured guy and the guy that hit him's brother. then the guy that hit him stood up and that's when i ran outside to get a guy to stop it....I was trying to stop something before it happened but i was to late. Supposedly the fight started becuase the injured guy's girlfriend was flirting with another guy...and he told someone he was going to throw them out of the window. It happened so fast there really was no way to stop it. Thank you for answering me....i was beginning to think noone was going to.

BL

So you were " Hosting " this party, since it was at your residence.

Was there any under age drinking going on ?
Were the " Guest" allowed to or ( served ) to consume enough alcohol to become intoxicated ?

You may be held partially or fully responsible , depending on the answerers to other questions.

I would think however though The person committing the assault would have to pay restitution .

If there was a Police report made the next day, was the person that caused the injury charged with the crime ?

If so the injured party should be suing the person that physically caused the injury.

In turn depending on the circumstances, then they might be able to sue you.

It all depends on the circumstances.

Last edited:

heather628

There was drinkin...people brought their own though, i did not supply or serve it. I am not sure how much was consumed because i did not buy it. I found out after that the guy who caused the injury was 20... i did not know this when he came over as i said i did not really know him. I am not sure if he is being charged, but i know he is being sued. It is my understanding that the injured guy's attorney's said to sue me because he is under the impression that i have home owner's or renter's insurance, which i do not. I do not have anything, i live paycheck to paycheck so i am not sure what they could even get from me. It is going to civil court..that's all i know. It's not a criminal case, but i do not have a great understanding of the law, i have never been sued before. :(

JETX

I don't know how got so many 'non-responsive' responses. So, lets go back to the beginning and try again.

"He said he is going to sue me because it was my apartment. Can he do that?"
*** Yes, he can sue you (or anyone else). Anyone can sue almost anyone over almost anything. The problem is..... based solely on the information in your post, I would be surprised if:
1) he actually did file a civil complaint against you, and
2) If his complaint would prevail. Simply, there is NOTHING in your post that would imply you were negligent or that the injuries occured due to any malice on your part.

"I do not have renter's insurance or any type of home insurance. Should i even be worried about this happening?"
*** As noted above, it is UNLIKELY that he would even file a civil case against you and even less likely that he would prevail if he did. I wouldn't be too worried..... at least until he follows through on his threat. If he does sue you, return here and we will go to the next step.

jmeloow

=oP

People love to say they are going to sue each other... I find that it is a phrase mostly overused by stupid people. Just about any time you hear someone say they will sue you, you should know there is a high probability that they live in a trailer.
Until you are served papers don't worry about it. Even if you are served, you are not the right person to sue.
Renter's insurance wouldn't cover this anyway... I don't recall seeing drunken fighting listed on my policy...

heather628

Thank you everyone for the info...i guess i will just wait to see what happens. BTW jimeloow he doesn't have newhere to live..he freeloads off of people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">