• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mary2001

What is the name of your state? Maryland

The day we were moving into our house 13 years ago our neighbor installed a fence (metal stakes with chicken wire) in the wooded area behind our house. It has never been maintained and is falling apart. We have decided to install a picket fence and have discovered that the neighbors fence is inside our property line varying from 1 ft. to 4 ft (it is a very long fence in the woods). We have the found the corner metal stakes that the surveyors capped in the ground so we know where the property line is. Do we send them a letter asking them to remove the fence or offer to remove it ourselves since it is interferring with our fence installation or just remove it without notifying them? They are not very friendly so we don't expect them to cooperate.

HomeGuru

mary2001 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

The day we were moving into our house 13 years ago our neighbor installed a fence (metal stakes with chicken wire) in the wooded area behind our house. It has never been maintained and is falling apart. We have decided to install a picket fence and have discovered that the neighbors fence is inside our property line varying from 1 ft. to 4 ft (it is a very long fence in the woods). We have the found the corner metal stakes that the surveyors capped in the ground so we know where the property line is. Do we send them a letter asking them to remove the fence or offer to remove it ourselves since it is interferring with our fence installation or just remove it without notifying them? They are not very friendly so we don't expect them to cooperate.
**A: ask them to move it and if they don't you move it.

M

mary2001

If they don't move it you said we could move it but does that mean we can just remove the fence and return the materials to them or do we have to reinstall their old fence on the propety line? It is falling apart and won't be easy to reinstall. I want to make sure I understand the law correctly so I don't end up in court.
Thank you.

K

krispenstpeter

You can invite the whole state to a fence bar-b-que and use the fence to roast wieners if you want. The fence is on your property. It belongs to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">