• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I shut off water on shared well if a user does not pay electricity past due??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

knsfritz

Hi, Im from Rochester, MN..

My question involves a person that is on a shared well with me. The person in question (the owner of the property) has not paid for their share of well work as well as their share of the electricity to the well. There is a legal agreement with the well. It states:

"In the event of the failure of any party to pay such costs, the remaining parties may take action at law or equity to enforce the payment of such costs."

Could this be interpretted to mean that I can shut off the electricity to the well (I have control) or shut of the valve to their property until they pay? I really do not want to deal with taking them to small claims court. I would rather settle this simply by irritating the tennants causing pressure to have the owner of the property pay up. Can I legally do this given the statement in the contract?

thanks!

JETX

"Could this be interpretted to mean that I can shut off the electricity to the well (I have control) or shut of the valve to their property until they pay?"
*** No.

"I really do not want to deal with taking them to small claims court."
*** Then don't.

"I would rather settle this simply by irritating the tennants causing pressure to have the owner of the property pay up. Can I legally do this given the statement in the contract?"
*** No.

K

knsfritz

ok.. but then what does "taking equity" mean?? I understand "action at law" to mean "small claims court", but what does "taking equity" mean then?? Why cannot be interpretted to mean "shut off the electricity". I mean, why should I have to foot the bill for a deadbeat?

HomeGuru

knsfritz said:
ok.. but then what does "taking equity" mean?? I understand "action at law" to mean "small claims court", but what does "taking equity" mean then??

**A: fighting for your rights. (in accordance with the law)

Why cannot be interpretted to mean "shut off the electricity". I mean, why should I have to foot the bill for a deadbeat?

**A: you should not. That is why you have to take the deadbeat to court.

dequeendistress

Failure to follow the advice of these knowledgable poster's such as Jetx and Home Guru can result in YOU having charges levied against you, which YOU will answer for in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">