• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper no-tresp.sign location? (Calif.)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrispycritter

When walking my dog in the evenings,I usually pass by a business that is fenced and has no-trespassing signs mounted on the fence.The other day a man drove up to me and told me I was trespassing.I apologized and offered that I must have missed the signs as I passed by.
He pointed to the signs on the fence, and said his property extends outwards 24 feet from the fence and that I was trespassing.
I went ahead and changed my route so as to give his place a wider berth, I don't really want to create a problem for anybody.
But isn't it customary to post your no-trespassing signs AT the property line, rather than 24 feet WITHIN and assuming passers-by will automatically be able to know when they are on someone else's property?
It is located in an unincorporated area, with no adjacent businesses.
There are no indications on the signs that the property lines are located 24 feet out from the fence, and no easement or access road exists there to give any indication of it being private prop.(otherwise,it's BLM desert scrub).
I don't intend to push the issue,just wanted to know where the law is on this...

HomeGuru

Chrispycritter said:
When walking my dog in the evenings,I usually pass by a business that is fenced and has no-trespassing signs mounted on the fence.The other day a man drove up to me and told me I was trespassing.I apologized and offered that I must have missed the signs as I passed by.
He pointed to the signs on the fence, and said his property extends outwards 24 feet from the fence and that I was trespassing.
I went ahead and changed my route so as to give his place a wider berth, I don't really want to create a problem for anybody.
But isn't it customary to post your no-trespassing signs AT the property line, rather than 24 feet WITHIN and assuming passers-by will automatically be able to know when they are on someone else's property?
It is located in an unincorporated area, with no adjacent businesses.
There are no indications on the signs that the property lines are located 24 feet out from the fence, and no easement or access road exists there to give any indication of it being private prop.(otherwise,it's BLM desert scrub).
I don't intend to push the issue,just wanted to know where the law is on this...
**A: yes, it is customary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">