• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied about birthdate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ride the Wave

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
My friend has intentionally lied regarding her birthdate for years (vanity purposes). Application on disability insurance policy shows birth year 1951. Employer application on medical insurance policy shows birth year as 1956. She has been paying premiums on disability insurance for many years. Years with current employer is approximately 5 years. Recently her physician reduced her work days down to two days per week and is working towards classifying her permanently disabled because of a wrist injury, of which, two surgeries have not corrected. She has limited range of motion and severe pain when using that wrist.

Can the insurance company not pay the disability if she comes forward and admits she put the wrong birth year?

She is afraid throughout the paperwork process that everyone will compare the birth years and realize there are two different birth years.

Should she go to the insurance company before she files the application for disability income and tell them she's lied?

She is willing to pay back premiums on her medical and disability, if necessary. She needs her disability income and can qualify. What should she be thinking about doing in so far as making sure she collects her disability benefits:

D

d8ddysgirl

Ride the Wave said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
My friend has intentionally lied regarding her birthdate for years (vanity purposes). Application on disability insurance policy shows birth year 1951. Employer application on medical insurance policy shows birth year as 1956. She has been paying premiums on disability insurance for many years. Years with current employer is approximately 5 years. Recently her physician reduced her work days down to two days per week and is working towards classifying her permanently disabled because of a wrist injury, of which, two surgeries have not corrected. She has limited range of motion and severe pain when using that wrist.

I can see no backround check was done. If it were she wouldn't be employed. Lying on an application is terms for firing.

Can the insurance company not pay the disability if she comes forward and admits she put the wrong birth year?

She is afraid throughout the paperwork process that everyone will compare the birth years and realize there are two different birth years.

Should she go to the insurance company before she files the application for disability income and tell them she's lied?

Yes, she is going to be in big trouble, its not like lying on a date, there is a little thing at the bottom of those papers you sign saying I am signing this and all the information I am supplying it true and fact.

She is willing to pay back premiums on her medical and disability, if necessary.

Oh its going to be necessary!!!

She needs her disability income and can qualify. What should she be thinking about doing in so far as making sure she collects her disability benefits:
Its flat out fraud. I understand vanity but this is more stupidity.

K

krispenstpeter

Before she does that have her get a true and certified copy of her birth certificate and contact an attorney.

Although it a little ridiculous (I'm damn proud of my 50 years and passing for 35) because it's disability she may not have much of a problem.

There is, however, the chance that the insurance company will drop her once they find out. Which is also their right.

And by the way, lying on the application for insurance is not fraud. At least not until benefits are paid BASED on the age she put down on the application!

J

jnew

Lied About Birthdate

Have your "friend" check out the policy language. There are usually clauses that discuss misstatements. One clause may actually carve out the misstatements about age. Read the policy.
Good luck,
jnew

FirstChance

Relax

from an insurance standpoint there is little to worry about. have your friend call her agent/insurance company. have her explain to them that she made a mistake about her age and give them the correct date. the insurance company will readjust her premium to the correct age and have her make up the premiums she should have paid because of her "mistake." most insurance companies, unless there is a diliberate attempt to misslead, will not call it fraud and will simply have the premium corrected.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All right, if you WILL re-open threads that are months old...

If you actually READ the post, you will see that the poster says the "mistake" was INTENTIONAL. THAT is fraud.

As you yourself said, UNLESS THERE IS A DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO MISLEAD. Well, guess what, there was.

FirstChance

cbq

read between the lines, the quotation marks mean something....and as for the age of the post, I am just trying to help, what are you doing?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you really think you're helping by starting things up months after they were closed? What makes you think the poster is even still looking?

As for what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to keep you from misleading the poster (on the off chance that he or she is still looking) into thinking that their "friend" (there're your quotation marks for you) is home free when they clearly, from the info in the post, are not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">