• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaa4d

What is the name of your state? VA

My question is this....my ex and I recently went to court for custody of our daughter. In the end of all the hub-bub, he won custody of her during the school year and I have her for the summer. That was the reverse of what we had been practicing. The decision was made in one county (I live there) and he lives in another county an hour away. Yesterday I received a summons for child support. It was petitioned for in the county that he lives in and not in the county that our custody order was drawn up in. Can he do that?

I thought that anything dealing with a case, whether custody or child support issue, had to be dealt with in the county that the original order was drawn up in. That is of course, unless he was to petition to have jurisdiction moved to his county. He hasn't done that. I'm not certain that he can, since I still live in the county that the original order was drawn up in. Does anyone have a clue about this?

jaa4d

K

krispenstpeter

Jurisdiction is held at the state level, not county. He is well within his rights and the law.

J

jaa4d

Oh, I didn't realize that it was on a state level and not county. Well, I had planned on going to the court date either way....I was just curious if this was going to be drawn out because he petitioned the wrong court. Thank you for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">